Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

VERY DISCOURAGED. Travel Trailer vs Cargo Trailer Conversion?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Strider

RVF Regular
TOW/TOAD
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser HJ45 Longbed Pickup Truck
Fulltimer
No
Hello,
I am looking at getting a travel trailer for now. I would like be able to work in it: model building, prop-making, and also out of it: murals. This means I have to carry tools and supplies. Not huge tools, but cordless tools, two ladders, paints, etc. The tools for props/models/leather are small, so I can always have those in tackle boxes. Have also thought of modifying the sleeping area with a fold down bed overhead and a u-shaped workbench with holders for tools, etc. Some stuff can go in my FJ Cruiser back (like the paint cans).
The trailer has to be under 4,000lbs loaded, as my tow rating in the FJC is 5,000lbs and I do not want to approach that.

My frustration is in the amount of bad reviews I see not only regarding, dealers but also regarding the brands. My goodness! It seems to be a given to get shoddy workmanship and poor service, along with being scammed!

I have been thinking of something like an RPod because it's light and aerodynamic, but not sure anymore.
I have thought of a cargo trailer conversion, but I don't really have the time to be converting anything.

I guess I could get a cot and my camping toilet, then install a minisplit, get a silent generator, then go to a habitat store or Ikea, and get a small kitchen counter and some cabinets. Maybe do a murphy bed that folds down over a work bench. Install some windows...
I even thought of a cargo trailer conversion with a "Decked" system; as long as there is still headroom. This way I can store 1 gallon paint cans and power tools underneath the floor.

Anybody done this before: worked out of a TT? Am I correct in them having very poor payload?

You have severely constrained yourself with a small tow vehicle. It also seems to me that you are asking a small travel trailer to do two major things: 1 - comfortably live out of it and 2 - effectively work out of it.

The laws of physics always win. You can't put five pounds of stuff in a two pound sack.

Rick

You have severely constrained yourself with a small tow vehicle. It also seems to me that you are asking a small travel trailer to do two major things: 1 - comfortably live out of it and 2 - effectively work out of it.

The laws of physics always win. You can't put five pounds of stuff in a two pound sack.

Rick
I do not like the large pickups, or 5th wheels, at all. My ideal setup would be a Super C at about 30' with an enclosed trailer that can carry my HJ or FJC, and that can also serve as a little workshop. For now, I can't afford that, so I have to accept a travel trailer.
My work is in art. Mural work is probably the most weight intensive, as I need the two ladders and to carry 1 gallon paint cans. I think the cans can go in the back of the FJC in a box/hold-down system. The ladders can be mounted to the rear bumper, one on each side, or under the camper with brackets.

As far as everything else, it involves small tools. What I think is I can convert the large dinette/bed area into a U-shaped table with my small tools, etc. for models/props/leather. I can then sleep where the smaller dinette is, or make a sort of murphy bed over the work table.

I saw a Riverside 189R Retro trailer. Tandem. GVWR under 4,000lbs. It has a murphy bed that folds down over a sofa which would be ideal for me to do the above setup.

That being said, my main gripe is in the lack of workmanship and quality issues gripes I keep reading about, as well as in the dealers not being very ethical.

This worries me.

I have considered some kind of used smaller box truck, in diesel, that can tow my HJ or FJC on a trailer setup. A short box truck that can do this would solve my issues. I could do the cot setup at first, then build it up. Having tools, I can actually just drive it to the hardware store, ikea, habitat, etc. and get what I need, then go to some secluded spot and install the cabinets or whatever.

Probably have to deal with the travel trailer to start, but then I can plan for more. If necessary, I could just focus on the murals for now and trade up.
I'm just debating it all based on the TT/RV quality issues.

I have thought about something like this:
1713455548388.png

Isuzu with 96,000 miles. Diesel. Ex-Ryder truck. Not sure what the towing capacity is, but should be 10,000 pounds or so-I will have to check. The inside being flat walls, insulation would be as simple as gluing on flat sheets and covering in plywood. Buy some cabinets and a murphy bed at ikea or something.

As someone who self-converted an "unconventional recreational vehicle (a former school bus aka "skoolie"), I will tell you that you are liable to run into "limitations" on where you can stay. Since you will need to stay fairly local to where you work, you need to be acceptable to a wide range of rv parks and campgrounds. I would NOT use a "non-conventional" recreational vehicle. They are a pita to taq/title and insure (I ran 3 years untagged and uninsured before I could get the bus tagged/titled and only one company in the US would insure with insurance that was real and not just a lie that was cancelled in a few months). They are a pita SOMETIMES to get into parks when you HAVE to be in a set location due to work requirements. Keep in mind that some parks object to any kind of business advertising (like company names PAINTED on a tow or towed vehicle). As a former business owner (food cart), there were places that I looked at that required me to remove all signage from the food cart before they would have let me stay. I looked elsewhere (as in 30 miles elsewhere).

Agree, if no RVIA certification, most campgrounds won't allow your creation

Those are good points. Thanks.
I've heard of the ten year limit BS also. I guess it's to keep out riffraff, but if they turn down older RVs that are in good shape, it's ridiculous.

I think for now I just need to focus on the travel trailer. Everything else is either out of my reach at the moment, or will require too much work to make work.

Thanks!

You may want to keep in mind, colours & graphics date RVs. Plain white (even a new repaint) makes your RV timeless. If you do a repaint, tape off the RVIA sticker so it doesn't get painted.

You may want to keep in mind, colours & graphics date RVs. Plain white (even a new repaint) makes your RV timeless. If you do a repaint, tape off the RVIA sticker so it doesn't get painted.
Yes I agree with that! I have never liked the graphics anyway, and would prefer a one color RV. Also no stupid bumper stickers or half-assed repairs, and washing the thing so it doesn't look dirty.

Hello,
I am looking at getting a travel trailer for now. I would like be able to work in it: model building, prop-making, and also out of it: murals. This means I have to carry tools and supplies. Not huge tools, but cordless tools, two ladders, paints, etc. The tools for props/models/leather are small, so I can always have those in tackle boxes. Have also thought of modifying the sleeping area with a fold down bed overhead and a u-shaped workbench with holders for tools, etc. Some stuff can go in my FJ Cruiser back (like the paint cans).
The trailer has to be under 4,000lbs loaded, as my tow rating in the FJC is 5,000lbs and I do not want to approach that.

My frustration is in the amount of bad reviews I see not only regarding, dealers but also regarding the brands. My goodness! It seems to be a given to get shoddy workmanship and poor service, along with being scammed!

I have been thinking of something like an RPod because it's light and aerodynamic, but not sure anymore.
I have thought of a cargo trailer conversion, but I don't really have the time to be converting anything.

I guess I could get a cot and my camping toilet, then install a minisplit, get a silent generator, then go to a habitat store or Ikea, and get a small kitchen counter and some cabinets. Maybe do a murphy bed that folds down over a work bench. Install some windows...
I even thought of a cargo trailer conversion with a "Decked" system; as long as there is still headroom. This way I can store 1 gallon paint cans and power tools underneath the floor.

Anybody done this before: worked out of a TT? Am I correct in them having very poor payload?

Light weight means they cut corners on materials and construction techniques to keep the weight down.

Surf on over to the RPod (Forest River) website and review the warranty. Here's an excerpt:

This recreational vehicle is designed solely for its intended purpose of recreational camping and personal use. Warrantor makes no warranty with regard to any recreational vehicle used for commercial, rental, or business purposes, or any recreational vehicle not registered and regularly used in the United States or Canada. For purposes of this limited warranty, it shall be deemed conclusive evidence of commercial, rental, or business purposes if the recreational vehicle is licensed, titled, registered, or insured in the name of any corporation, LLC, or any other form of business or commercial entity.

Warranty may or may not be important to you. What is important is why the manufacture would only provide a warranty limited to recreational use. Of course this is because they know the light weight rigs will not stand up to full time use.

Latest resources

Back