Chassis
Prevost
Engine
Volvo D13
TOW/TOAD
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fulltimer
No
I am planning a trip to Vegas to have some work done at NIRVC and I typically go to a campground on the road.

Since I am just spending the night, and continuing on the next morning, it seems like a viable choice to spend the night in Walmart which is along the route. I have heard the drill get permission, don't set up like you are camping, patronize the establishment if possible and leave no trace. Aside from that, anything else I need to be aware of? I have already checked to see if they allow overnight and they do. I will call to confirm before I leave.

Have a "Plan B" in your back pocket if you find the Walmart parking lot full, or management changes its policy at the last minute, or whatever.

TJ

We Wally-docked 2 nights on the way back from Nappanee. Both were in small towns near the highway. Each time there was only one other RV in the lot; of course late February is not exactly the prime season for camping. One even had signs pointing to RV parking. If you’ve got a toad, make sure you arrive early enough to situate your rig so no backing is required. We pulled in about 4pm each day.

@sheridany have you considered Harvest Hosts? Safer in my opinion and a great experience visiting wineries, golf courses, etc. I've been to a few in great destinations out in the country with great views, very private and isolated, also some that were busy wineries and enjoyable.

@Neal I looked at it a few years ago. I’ll look again. Good point.

update: I joined. Got 15% off. Found a great place along route. Thanks @Neal

Last edited:
Utilized "Harvest Host" membership on the way to & from Florida. Stayed at the same Winery in S.C.
Great folks; this particular one even had "water/electricity" hookups if one chose to use them. Additional charge for those was $10.00. Which I utilized.
Or could have boon-docked next to the vineyards for "free"!
Harvest Host participants seem to be growing at a fairly rapid clip! And the additional "Golf Course" membership gives one even greater opportunities!
Many more participants east of the Mississippi, but seems to growing in midwest/west areas.
And too me, much safer & more scenic than a Wally World parking lot! But not always as convenient!
Just another option to consider!

One I used in southwestern VA even had 50A hookups! I enjoy it, it's something different and so far great experiences.

Latest resources

Back