Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Waltzing across Texas (in a considerable headwind).

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rich W.

Retired Fire Chief
RVF Supporter
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 3427
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
We spent the day working our way back across Texas from SW Louisiana. I wanted to cross the Calcasieu Shipping channel at the Cameron Ferry but they wouldn't let us on. My little Ventana is too big. Its a 50 car Ferry and Ive been on it with a 25’ B+ and a 15’ trailer, but they said no to the Ventana. Too much of a bump on the ramp and they said we’d bottom out which wouldnt be fun. So we turned around, boondocked by the channel and visited with the fishermen (they were doing a lot of good from an old, abandoned pier) and this morning headed north on LA 27 towards 10.

We stopped at the Sabine Wetland Walkway, about 7 miles north of Holly beach at the 27/82 split. No gators in evidence today (too clod?) but lots of birds and a pleasant but cold, windy walk around the loop. Theres still lots of hurricane damage in the area but life goes on with lots of people fishing and duck hunting on a Saturday morning.

Well as we all know, 10 is a rolling disaster and today proved no different, so we opted for the small roads, veering off on 96 around Beaumont just before a complete stoppage on 10 (lucky us) and then made our way North and West on 287, 7, 84, and 36 with some other lesser roads connecting here and there. Most of these are 2 lane roads in good condition and much better than 10 with very light traffic the only difficulty being a strong headwind all the way.

It was a windy day in Central Texas with sustained winds in the 30-40mph range, and gusts higher. Felt like it was beating up the coach but I think it was just me. Even with Active Air it was a chore but I found it handled a little better with a bit more pressure in the air bags (medium high). Anyway we made it about 450 miles with several stops for the dogs and one for fuel and that necessary evil, DEF.

Ended up in Comanche City Park, Comanche, Texas, a pretty good park, very well maintained, a dozen or so 30 amp sites with water, but they could stand to trim the trees a bit over the roads. We are the only RV (or any camper for that matter) in the entire park! Too damn cold for normal people to go camping. Tomorrow is another day with our goal being to mingle with the Kountry Klub folks at the Newmar deal in Quartzsite in a few days. 350 mile days should suffice to get us there by the 18th. I’ll post a pic or two of the park in the morning.

Latest resources

Back