• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Want to RV but don’t know how!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I’ve been thinking about this for a year now. And the only thing I’m certain of is that whatever I end up with absolutely has to have a real bathroom. And I want something fairly small - I keep going back and forth between tow behind and self propelled...My google searches have been “smallest travel trailer with bathroom” or some variation of that. I was really leaning toward a tow behind — until I friend suggested that as a female traveling alone, I might not want to have to exit one structure in order to get in a vehicle that could be used to escape a bad situation. Food for thought.
Renting is great advice — I looked into it a little (very little) and thought it seemed pretty expensive. Need to do more research, I suppose. Where does one rent an RV????
A national chain is Cruise America. The reviews of this Group are all over the place, some love them and others no so much. RV rental is very much "Buyer Beware" territory. But that said there are rental locations of Cruise America that provide an excellent experience. The Class C they offer are small enough to handle easily and give good camping experience. Plus if you get a good rental location, they will give you a good primer on how to operate the RV, typically a Class C. Also, they sell refurbished used units for relatively low sums of money (RV money).

We are a self contained, powered unit owner, for my style of camping (10K miles a year traveling coast to coast) and the relative safety, a self contained powered unit is a good choice. The point about safety your friend makes is a good one. Being able to drive away from a problem is a real advantage of an RV. Not having to exit your vehicle to move, driving a self powered unit, even better.

Regarding choices of RVs, It depends on what your style of camping. Camping a week or two a year, going only a short distance to camp, or the occasional weekend, a tow behind makes perfect sense. Travelling months at a time over long distances, a powered unit starts to make sense, especially if you do not already drive a tow vehicle.

If you do consider a self powered unit, you might consider how you will get around when camping. Can you tow your car with the RV you choose, weight capacity, is your vehicle able to be flat towed?, or will you use a bicycle or similar device to get around? Once the camper is setup in a camp ground it is a pain to move to run to town. Tow behind trailers, you just unhook the tow vehicle and go. A self powered unit you probably want an alternative mode of transportation.

Lots to think about. Buy an RV

Thank you for reminding me to take my time. After lots of reading and looking, I was putting pressure on myself to just make a damn decision in order to get this show on the road. I need to relax, breathe, and find a few RVs to rent. Any suggestions on a good place to find a rental?
@DanaMc, let me suggest that you take the same approach to buying an RV as you would using it; treat the purchasing process as a new journey. Immerse yourself in the search; you will learn a lot (just like traveling to a new area in a RV) and the ride can be very enjoyable.

Visit a bunch or RV dealerships (leave your checkbook and credit cards at home - ;) ) and walk through every type, brand and model they have in stock, Take some photos and make some notes of things you like...or don't like. This research will be both enjoyable (living vicariously is fun!) and productive in preparing you for your eventual purchase.

TJ

Welcome to RVForums @DanaMc - go for it, you will not regret it. I've stayed at amazing beaches in my RV. One just north of Daytona Beach right on the ocean front. Same at Myrtle Beach, and I go to Virginia Beach every year. I also love the mountains, you can do it all and keep on going. What a great lifestyle, you're making a great decision. Good luck and let us know how things go along your journey and ask any questions here of course. Welcome aboard.
Which one Neal? Was it Coral Sands in Ormond beach? We stayed there. It's small and it's crowded but it's one of the FEW that are RIGHT ON THE BEACH in that part of the State.

Latest resources

Back