Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Wanting input on your experiences with hubs/tires.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

MrsG

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Forest River
RV Model
Viking 16 fb
RV Length
Chassis
Tow Behind
I have read that truck tires are better to use. However, our trailer has 13 in hubs/tires. I was wondering if slightly larger hub could be used with larger tires. I know nothing about tire rims/sizes/ tire sizes. I would really love to have larger ones. The ones on our trailer seem so small for it. even though they are the manufacture recommended size. Has anyone replaced their hubs with slightly larger ones and tires also? I do know that it all depends on whether they will "fit" in the wheel well/ tire hub or not. (Does that make sense to you?). I would REALLY love to try truck tires on our trailer, but it may not be possible. Forest River Viking 16fb. Weight around 3500. Just putting that out there and welcome input ......anyone?:)

It's all about ply count. Forget truck tires (my opinion).

Hub Dia or rim? Buy tires rated for the speed you travel or higher. Larger tires and rims allow for larger more capable brakes, and looks. If larger looks better to you and you have the room, do it.

I would not use truck tires. As I understand. Trailer tires are designed with a different side wall. There are cheap trailer tires and quality trailer tires.

Look for ply count and the weight rating. So many trailers come with tires that are rated too low or right at their limit.

You can go to 14” or even 15” tires with higher load ratings by buying bigger rims. Just measure your bolt pattern (probably 5 on 4 1/2”) or take one into a tire shop if you arent sure. Chances are your rims have a five bolt pattern that is also available on 14“ and 15” rims. Here are links to 14” and 15” rims that use the 5 on 4 1/2” bolt pattern:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20315.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20422.html.
This is a link for measuring your bolt pattern:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx

This upgrade is a very good idea as most trailer manufactures use the cheapest tires with the lowest possible ratings as OE equipment, and premature tire failures on travel trailers are very common. These failures usually do some damage to the trailer (sometimes significant) and can also cause loss of control, when they self-destruct. Just look in your wheel wells - anything exposed or close to the tires can be ripped out by shredded rubber flailing around in there - plumbing, wiring, bodywork, etc.

So, on to tires. Most (almost all) trailer tires are made in china, and there have been countless failures due to inferior materials, design, and production practices. The only trailer tires made in the USA that I know of are Goodyear Endurance. I use them on my utility, horse, and equipment trailers and have never had a hint of problems. Either 14” or 15” will handle your weight load - just check that spec when buying tires. These are links to two 14” Goodyear Endurance tires that are 2050lb and 2200lb respectively.
Endurance® Trailer Tire | Goodyear Tires

So the last hurdle is fitting whatever you buy in your wheel wells. Measure them and take suspension movement into consideration. Seems to me that either of the 14” tires listed above (205 or 215) will be more than adequate and will give you a lot more confidence and peace of mind. And you can keep your 13” tires for spares although going this route you are much less likely to need one.

Last edited:
You can go to 14” or even 15” tires with higher load ratings by buying bigger rims. Just measure your bolt pattern (probably 5 on 4 1/2”) or take one into a tire shop if you arent sure. ...
If you increase the wheel/tire diameter, you will need to ensure you have wheel well clearance when fully loaded as the suspension moves. You don't want the tire rubbing against the RV when you go over bumps or rough roads.

You can go to 14” or even 15” tires with higher load ratings by buying bigger rims. Just measure your bolt pattern (probably 5 on 4 1/2”) or take one into a tire shop if you arent sure. Chances are your rims have a five bolt pattern that is also available on 14“ and 15” rims. Here are links to 14” and 15” rims that use the 5 on 4 1/2” bolt pattern:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20315.html
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tires-and-Wheels/Dexstar/AM20422.html.
This is a link for measuring your bolt pattern:
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx

This upgrade is a very good idea as most trailer manufactures use the cheapest tires with the lowest possible ratings as OE equipment, and premature tire failures on travel trailers are very common. These failures usually do some damage to the trailer (sometimes significant) and can also cause loss of control, when they self-destruct. Just look in your wheel wells - anything exposed or close to the tires can be ripped out by shredded rubber flailing around in there - plumbing, wiring, bodywork, etc.

So, on to tires. Most (almost all) trailer tires are made in china, and there have been countless failures due to inferior materials, design, and production practices. The only trailer tires made in the USA that I know of are Goodyear Endurance. I use them on my utility, horse, and equipment trailers and have never had a hint of problems. Either 14” or 15” will handle your weight load - just check that spec when buying tires. These are links to two 14” Goodyear Endurance tires that are 2050lb and 2200lb respectively.

So the last hurdle is fitting whatever you buy in your wheel wells. Measure them and take suspension movement into consideration. Seems to me that either of the 14” tires listed above (205 or 215) will be more than adequate and will give you a lot more confidence and peace of mind. And you can keep your 13” tires for spares although going this route you are must less likely to need one.
Thank you so much for the info!!! Safe travels!

Latest resources

Back