• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tip Wanting to get travel trailer what is most reliable half ton for towing

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I've been towing with a half-ton for 13 years with two different travel trailers. One had an empty weight of 3,400lbs. The other, I currently use, has an empty weight of 4,800lbs. Fully loaded with water and cargo it weighs 5,400lbs.

I tow with a 2010 Toyota Tundra with a tow rating of 11,300lbs. As others have mentioned, everybody has an opinion. My personal preference is to cut 50 percent off whatever the vehicle manufacturer says I can tow and use that number as my guide.

I've never had a problem in the 13 years I've owned my truck. I attribute it to good maintenance and having a lot less wear and tear.

hope this helps!
I prefer the Ram trucks. Great running and the interior is 2nd to none. I towed 7500# loaded for many years with the half ton-no problems. I moved up to the 3/4 ton Ram when I purchased a heavier trailer.

Not sure he would meet the definition of "reasonable". :ROFLMAO:
Glad you got it! I once went to a campground that had a 24ft camper limit, I went with a 32 ft MH. I fit but 24 would have been better!

My point is is it better to get a hyway tractor to pull a 16 ft trailer, or a half ton truck. Honestly! I have a half ton truck to pull my 26 ft fifth. But my family has always been conservative.
I pulled my 21 ft with a Dakota, and it did fine. When asked about being overloaded I said no because I knew the numbers. I was in the Rockies when I was asked! What about the braking? they asked. I explained my trailer has brakes. They asked wasn't I worried about stressing my little truck? And I told them the truck had 230000 miles on it with more than 50% towing miles without major repairs. I was asked about engine braking? And I told them what I was taught while learning to drive! You select the gear you would use to climb the same grade, and save the brakes for if you need them.

I truly am not a Tim's son.

Consensus among most reasonable halfton owners is that you should be able to go up to a ~25 ft travel trailer and still be within the capability of your truck (obviously depending on the specific truck and trailer and how much gear you have).
Don't mis-understand.......I'm not saying a 1/2 ton won't do the job. Shoot, I pulled a 24' Jayco travel trailer from Iowa to Arizona and back without incident. The following year, it went up into Michigan, again without incident.
I now have a Coachmen 5er that just nudges up against the tow capacity of my 1/2 ton, and I've had it out twice. Got plans to pull up into South Dakota this fall.

All I'm saying is that by kicking the tow vehicle up a notch, one opens up the possibilities for a mobile "residence", and gains some additional safety margin.

Roger

Don't mis-understand.......I'm not saying a 1/2 ton won't do the job. Shoot, I pulled a 24' Jayco travel trailer from Iowa to Arizona and back without incident. The following year, it went up into Michigan, again without incident.
I now have a Coachmen 5er that just nudges up against the tow capacity of my 1/2 ton, and I've had it out twice. Got plans to pull up into South Dakota this fall.

All I'm saying is that by kicking the tow vehicle up a notch, one opens up the possibilities for a mobile "residence", and gains some additional safety margin.

Roger
Thank you for this! It helps the poster get the picture he wanted help with👍👍👍

^ This.

Be sure to get the 5.7L engine and not the 4.6L. The 4.6L burns almost as much fuel as the bigger engine but doesn't have nearly the towing capability.
Does the Toyota 5.7 utilize multi displacement???
Don't expect great mileage while towing, it won't happen. The average overall will depend on the mpg epa ratings.

5.7 is a 350c.i. engine, for us old folks. With multi displacement my RAM achieves 21 mpg at 50% tow ratio. Is it reliable? Not everyone gets the same results! My truck is trouble free at 110k, but that is break in mileage for a truck. If you have trouble with a truck with less, than get a real truck!!!

Does the Toyota 5.7 utilize multi displacement???
Don't expect great mileage while towing, it won't happen. The average overall will depend on the mpg epa ratings.

5.7 is a 350c.i. engine, for us old folks. With multi displacement my RAM achieves 21 mpg at 50% tow ratio. Is it reliable? Not everyone gets the same results! My truck is trouble free at 110k, but that is break in mileage for a truck. If you have trouble with a truck with less, than get a real truck!!!
I've talked to guys who tow their travel trailers with the Toyota 5.7, Dodge/Ram 5.7, GM 6.0 and Ford 3.5EB and they all get 10 mpg or less when towing. The others might do better unloaded than Toyota's (as you say, no displacement on demand system) but it's a stout motor that will run forever.

I've talked to guys who tow their travel trailers with the Toyota 5.7, Dodge/Ram 5.7, GM 6.0 and Ford 3.5EB and they all get 10 mpg or less when towing. The others might do better unloaded than Toyota's (as you say, no displacement on demand system) but it's a stout motor that will run forever.
I get 13 towing. It boils down to preference!!!

Latest resources

Back