Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wanting to use our RV all winter (in AL). Do I need to winterize it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We just bought our first RV this summer: (2005 Fleetwood Flair).
I've learned that it's important to winterize RVs each year to avoid damage from freezing.

Considering the following:
  1. We live in mid Alabama, which doesn't have very harsh winters
  2. We want to use our RV all winter
Given that, what minimum kind of winterizing do we need to do?
Really just run the furnace as needed watch if temps are going to get below freezing. May need to heat basement. Our is heated by the coach furnace so something to check.

It's not just the lines but the elbows and connections that can trap water that could expand if it gets too cold for an extended period of time.
Understood.
As for blowing air through the system, I considering purchasing a simple pump for this.
It's not just the lines but the elbows and connections that can trap water that could expand if it gets too cold for an extended period of time.
Good point. Just ordered a pump.

Do you have water and sewer drain avaliable? If so a trickle from the taps, the head supply valve off with water drained from it. And sewer hooked up and gate valves open. Will do the trick. As I stated above heater set to lowest temperature avaliable, with cabnet doors open should cover all bases.
To drain black and gray I have to pull to the front of the hose and hook up a long hose. Not ideal to do each time.
But that's a good thought: Do like what's done in a house: trickle water.

I'm thinking draining all water (including hot water heater), blowing in air, and/or occasionally running heat on real cold nights should work, given that we live in Alabama.

Latest resources

Back