Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Wanting to use our RV all winter (in AL). Do I need to winterize it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

JeffAndPam

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Fleetwood
RV Model
Flair, 34R
RV Length
34'
Fulltimer
No
We just bought our first RV this summer: (2005 Fleetwood Flair).
I've learned that it's important to winterize RVs each year to avoid damage from freezing.

Considering the following:
  1. We live in mid Alabama, which doesn't have very harsh winters
  2. We want to use our RV all winter
Given that, what minimum kind of winterizing do we need to do?

I would at least open the low point drains. Then blow out all the plumbing lines with compressed air, don't forget the ice maker and washing machine if you have one. Drain your fresh water, black, and gray tanks too. Don't know what you have for a water heater but I'd drain that too. It might sound like overkill but it's better than having something freeze in your system and cause problems, headaches and money later.

I would at least open the low point drains. Then blow out all the plumbing lines with compressed air, don't forget the ice maker and washing machine if you have one. Drain your fresh water, black, and gray tanks too. Don't know what you have for a water heater but I'd drain that too. It might sound like overkill but it's better than having something freeze in your system and cause problems, headaches and money later.
I think that a drained and bypassed water heater is a good idea. Tea kettles will work for you during the winter!

That all makes a lot of sense! Thank you.

As for blowing out the lines, I don't have an air compressor (and not sure I'd have the lung capacity :) ). What would be a good alternative? Would it be sufficient to just open all the facets, and leave the drain spouts open?

I live in Pensacola, FL and do not winterize at all. In fact, we have used the RV each Christmas that we’ve owned it…

As for blowing out the lines, I don't have an air compressor (and not sure I'd have the lung capacity :) ). What would be a good alternative? Would it be sufficient to just open all the facets, and leave the drain spouts open?
It's not just the lines but the elbows and connections that can trap water that could expand if it gets too cold for an extended period of time.

Do you have water and sewer drain avaliable? If so a trickle from the taps, the head supply valve off with water drained from it. And sewer hooked up and gate valves open. Will do the trick. As I stated above heater set to lowest temperature avaliable, with cabnet doors open should cover all bases.

The last few years in SC I've managed with mostly just draining the water. I do run some minimal heat when the temp gets much below 30F nights. I crank the heat up some more for temps in the teens. So far that has been quite rare since I've had this coach. Mine has a heater vent that can be opened to warm the lower compartments when it gets really cold. Without that vent and me knowing when I need to go turn the heat on I would have to do things differently. We don't really use our coach for camping in winter but it stays plugged in and is on standby for if/when the power goes out.

Latest resources

Back