Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Over the last 3 - 4 weeks we have had 4 wasp (one at a time) “appear” flying around our ceiling. I realize these things crawl and get into anything. This is the first time in the last 2 years full timing it.

Anything I should be looking at? We only use commercial Parks and move every 2 - 3 weeks.

Perhaps a nest under a vent cover? I don't know what rig you have,maybe give it a head to toe car wash.

Possibly a nest in your fridge's vent.
Maybe the cookstove's vent?
I would think most of them would have a screen or some sort, but maybe you have a damaged one.
Oh.....do the visual check after sunset.....they can't see worth a hoot in dim light or darkness, and will stay in the nest even with you in close proximity. Best time to spray, too.

Roger

Wasps will build a nest in almost anything, anywhere. Tell the park manager and ask for a wasp trap to be placed nearby then start looking under your roof vents, AC shrouds, behind water heater/furnace vents, behind front/rear caps, fridge vents, AC/heat ducts, on the chassis as well as the places already mentioned.

I had accidentally discovered a wasp nest the size of a basket ball hidden under a shrub on Saturday morning when I hit it with a garden rake. There had to be a couple hundred wasps in there. Got stung 3 times resulting in a swollen hand. It took 3 different brands of wasp sprays to finally knock them down. Wasps are nasty little buggers!

Wasps will build a nest in almost anything, anywhere. Tell the park manager and ask for a wasp trap to be placed nearby then start looking under your roof vents, AC shrouds, behind water heater/furnace vents, behind front/rear caps, fridge vents, AC/heat ducts, on the chassis as well as the places already mentioned.

I had accidentally discovered a wasp nest the size of a basket ball hidden under a shrub on Saturday morning when I hit it with a garden rake. There had to be a couple hundred wasps in there. Got stung 3 times resulting in a swollen hand. It took 3 different brands of wasp sprays to finally knock them down. Wasps are nasty little buggers!
WD-40 has always worked for me!

I’d probably end up with oil all over me while I tried to spray them. But definitely will remember next time I find a nest.

What you probably found was a bald-faced hornet's nest. The ones that look like a ball made of leaves off the ground? Yes.....those are hard to kill, because of the chambers inside the ball that house and protect the queen and workers. DO NOT attempt to wrap it up with a garbage bag, like you see on youtube vids. The outcome won't be very complimentary to you.

I have found, at least around here, that paper wasps tend to build on/in a south-facing cavity, that gets warmed by the sun as early as possible in the morning. They like the heat, and that's why they seem to be so much more active during July and August.

Roger

Thanks for the advise on heating. I knew they are a summer nuisance but I never thought about the nest being established for the early sun. I’ll keep that in mind while looking for them.

Latest resources

Back