RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
I seem to remember an issue with water intrusion in the electrical bay on some coaches. I've not noticed it until traveling in a lot of rain this year, and it seems to be coming in up high from the partition between the bay and the wheel well like the tire is paddle wheeling the water in. I called Newmar, and they were a bit non committal, but did say that I would have to take it in to the dealer to get it diagnosed. They did say if it was an obvious issue, they would make it right, which I have come to expect. Has anyone here had an issue with this, and if so, what was the outcome?

I, and others, have had issues with rain water running along the frame rails and then dripping down onto items in the basement below these rails. It seems that the rear tires are splashing the water up onto the rails. Some have said that the solution was to seal where the rails enters the basement so that the water cannot travel along the rails within the basement.

I had this issue repaired in Nappanee this summer. The solution, as explained to me by the tech was to seal all along the rail from the front to the rear of the basement so that the water doesn’t exit the rail. I was told that it was ok for the rain water to run along the rails. While I’m not sure which (or both) solution is correct, I no longer have water dripping down from the frame rails into the basement.

I had this issue repaired in Nappanee this summer. The solution, as explained to me by the tech was to seal all along the rail from the front to the rear of the basement so that the water doesn’t exit the rail. I was told that it was ok for the rain water to run along the rails. While I’m not sure which (or both) solution is correct, I no longer have water dripping down from the frame rails into the basement.

The repair took three days to complete by highly capable Newmar techs. In addition to removing everything from the basement, the fresh and grey water tanks had to be removed in addition to the wet bay panel.

I, and others, have had issues with rain water running along the frame rails and then dripping down onto items in the basement below these rails. It seems that the rear tires are splashing the water up onto the rails. Some have said that the solution was to seal where the rails enters the basement so that the water cannot travel along the rails within the basement.

The repair took three days to complete by highly capable Newmar techs. In addition to removing everything from the basement, the fresh and grey water tanks had to be removed in addition to the wet bay panel.
We had a similar experience with our 2018 Mountain Aire. The fix was the same as yours...except that it took an extra two weeks to finally resolve the problem. That included diagnosing and replacing the failed step controller that was damaged by the high-pressure spray used to find the water leaks. All is good now.

TJ

Related to the OP issue, yesterday after closing up in the rain at one campground and driving about 2 hours to the next, I did notice water in my pegboard bay. The water was dripping down from the top of the bay which is above the frame rails, thus a different problem. Only this bay had water. I’ve convinced myself (for now) that the water came from the top of the bedroom slide which directly above the pegboard bay.

4B7D3568-8FE8-486E-AEE5-8ABFECBF6B0A.jpeg

Wow, not really looking forward to taking it in to North Trail for this fix. Might have to make a trip up to the Mothership to get it resolved. Thanks for the info!

I need to get the added supports installed for the Girard Awnings. I’m think about having North Trail do the work while we are in Naples this winter. While I prefer doing most repairs and maintenance myself, I’m thinking how much can a dealer screw up such a repair? We purchased our coach from North Trail, but we did the pickup in Nappanee and have had repairs done mainly at the factory although we have visited three different dealers while on the road for various warranty repairs. Not all dealer visits went well.

Related to the OP issue, yesterday after closing up in the rain at one campground and driving about 2 hours to the next, I did notice water in my pegboard bay. The water was dripping down from the top of the bay which is above the frame rails, thus a different problem. Only this bay had water. I’ve convinced myself (for now) that the water came from the top of the bedroom slide which directly above the pegboard bay.

View attachment 3585

I had this. It's wheel well intrusion. Raise the rear fenders (self tapping screws on bottom) and consider spray sealant on the forward upper seams.

Latest resources

Back