Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

We are shopping for a used Class A Diesel. We are making a trip to Florida next week

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Barbara

RVF Regular
We are shopping for a used Class A Diesel. We will be in Florida next week as it seems there are several there we have identified. Any suggestions on what to beware of? common hidden problems, etc. This will be our first. Nothing over 40 ft or under 35.

Thanks for joining our community Barbara. It's exciting to hear you're ready to get a Class A. All of us here were crazy like you at one point...
I'm guessing you're aware RV ownership makes absolutely no financial sense, especially Class A right? Good. Then you'll be ok with the reality that this is the worst possible time in many years to buy used RV's due to market conditions related to Covid. So you're going to pay above market in all likelihood.

There's plenty of stuff to search on the web and on this forum that I won't repeat, but here's my key thoughts..
- If you find one you like, REALLY like, sleep on it
- Pay for a professional inspection
- Be most sensitive to any possible leaks or water damage
- Check the market value for units you like against NADA and other RV valuation sites
- If the inspection identifies faults you can live with (which it should), use these to negotiate your final price
- Make sure the rig has a clear title. If the seller owes a balance to his bank etc.. that needs to be resolved first

Good luck and keep us posted. I'm sure others will chime in with more valuable insights

So it looks like we have made a deal on a 2007 Fleetwood Discovery. We would like to add side view cameras. Any recommendations? Also has anyone had experience with using Lemon Squad for inspection?

Not familiar with Lemon Squad but they appear to be primarily automotive, but it doesn't mean they're not capable. Try this locator for options: from Find An RV Inspector – NRVIA

Is this at a dealer or private party? I hope all the other parameters are falling into place on this deal for you, price, floorplan, etc..

Curious, does the owner have maintenance records to share that are complete? They may not but a big plus. Most inspectors will do well on mechanical items, but the roof and paint are key issues to be thinking of as very expensive to remedy as a % of value on a coach of this vintage. Good luck and keep us posted!

Not familiar with Lemon Squad but they appear to be primarily automotive, but it doesn't mean they're not capable. Try this locator for options: from Find An RV Inspector – NRVIA

Is this at a dealer or private party? I hope all the other parameters are falling into place on this deal for you, price, floorplan, etc..

Curious, does the owner have maintenance records to share that are complete? They may not but a big plus. Most inspectors will do well on mechanical items, but the roof and paint are key issues to be thinking of as very expensive to remedy as a % of value on a coach of this vintage. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks. All maintenance records. Paint is perfect. Owner was totally fine with us having it inspected.

We are shopping for a used Class A Diesel. We will be in Florida next week as it seems there are several there we have identified. Any suggestions on what to beware of? common hidden problems, etc. This will be our first. Nothing over 40 ft or under 35.
I would trust my life with ivon page the owner of the RV swapshop in Summerfield FL. He will treat you right and always always honest. Tell him Gina sent you. I worked for him when I lived in Florida and loved how he did business.

Have that rubber roof inspected. If you have a leak the repair goes much further than the roof as everything that is supposed to be dry can be wet with mold growing. A rubber roof is costly to replace so do your due diligence.

Latest resources

Back