Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Ronny_Resistor

RVF Newbee
I am looking for advice from any one that knows more information in regards to "Policy change"

August 27, 2021 we drove to our SUN RV campsite where we have been for 10 years.

One of my neighbors informed me that I should check my e-mail as SUN RV has changed the rules on this RV Park.

We can no longer have Travel trailers on the site for more than 10 years. My e-mail from the park stated that this would be the last season we can stay / play at this trailer. My trailer is an older model (2004 Keystone 29' ). It is still very comfortable and we enjoy our weekend getaway every chance we get.

Finding a new trailer would be a challenge for most of us that got this letter there are about 20 trailers affected, some have been on site for 40 years. So we have people here that spend the winters in Florida and the summers in Ontario, Canada. We (Ontario) is still not fully opened, the US/Canada Border is closed for non-essential travel (Covid Restrictions) so going to Indiana or Pennsylvania is not an option (Purchase a US trailer and bring it Home).

Another issue would be buying an older trailer but they have a 5 to 10 year life span based on Sun RV policy. If we were to buy a 2012 Trailer it would be ok for 1 year and then we would be required to purchase another trailer for the next year.

So I am now wondering if this policy is a Sun RV corporate decision or this is a park decision. There are many seniors that will be directly effected by this policy, people who were at this park before SUN RV bought the park (Sun bought the park Approx. 5 years ago). When we arrived 10 years ago the park had multiple sites open and we were told that the Trailer had to be 15 years old or younger to enter the park and then it would be grandfathered in until the trailer was no longer safe to stay in.

So instead of enjoying the weekend i spent time with all my friends and were not sure what to do. It seams a little odd that the park would be this insensitive, especially during the last year we have had.

I am asking anyone that knows what we can do or if this is happening all over this industry, our sunshine got a little dimmer this weekend and i am getting a little desperate so i have reached out to this community for help.

We also thought that the park / Sun RV should have given us a 1 season notice but to blindly send you an email stating you are no longer welcome in the 2022 season and to give you 1 month notice is not right. Sorry for the rambeling.

I’m a little unclear here. You say “We can no longer have travel trailers on the site for more than 10 years;” does that mean that the new policy says the trailer must be 10 years old or newer? Or, are you saying that after 10 years, the park can make you leave the site?

Do you have some kind of membership contract? If so, what are the terms in that contract? Have you asked the Sun RV management why you are not “grandfathered” in because of the former owner’s commitment to let you stay as noted below?

When we arrived 10 years ago the park had multiple sites open and we were told that the Trailer had to be 15 years old or younger to enter the park and then it would be grandfathered in until the trailer was no longer safe to stay in.

Do you have this in writing? If so, I think Sun RV would have to honor the terms of any contract they buy as part of their RV park purchase. If not, my advice is to consider hiring an attorney to review the situation. You may have legal rights that Sun RV could be trying to gloss over.

TJ

I’m a little unclear here. You say “We can no longer have travel trailers on the site for more than 10 years;” does that mean that the new policy says the trailer must be 10 years old or newer? Or, are you saying that after 10 years, the park can make you leave the site?

Do you have some kind of membership contract? If so, what are the terms in that contract? Have you asked the Sun RV management why you are not “grandfathered” in because of the former owner’s commitment to let you stay as noted below?

Do you have this in writing? If so, I think Sun RV would have to honor the terms of any contract they buy as part of their RV park purchase. If not, my advice is to consider hiring an attorney to review the situation. You may have legal rights that Sun RV could be trying to gloss over.

TJ
We have reviewed our original documents and there is nothing in there that states the grandfathered terms, it was verbally told to us. We sign yearly contracts with the old owners and the new owners, interestingly there is no mention of age of trailer in any documentation.

Is it safe to say that your trailer is well-maintained and looks like it? RV parks usually put RV age policies in place to give them some leverage to evict someone whose RV looks shabby. And, most RV parks will make a quiet accommodation for older RVs if they look well cared for. You need to ask for the exception, however.

Did other long-term residents of the RV park get the same “grandfathered” commitment that you did? If so, that might be enough legal grounds to get an exception from the “new policy.” Verbal contracts can be valid; you just need to be able to prove them. That’s where if others received the same commitment can provide that proof.

Seems like you need to be talking to park management and explaining the verbal commitment that was made to you. Ask, specifically, to be ”grandfathered in as promised.” It wouldn’t hurt to tell them you will maintain your trailer‘s good appearance and functionality. If that doesn’t provide the relief you are looking for, the next step would be to consult an attorney.

While working with others in the park in a group effort might work, I would first approach park management as an individual resident and request to be grandfathered. If that doesn’t work, then having a group of residents who received the same commitment could be more persuasive from a legal standpoint.

Good luck.

TJ

Our park down in Frostproof is also owned by Sun RV Resorts, whose corporate offices are based up in Minnesota I believe. We entered into a two year lease almost two years ago for an RV lot.

I don't have my lease in front of me, however friends of ours signed the same lease agreement last year. Their coach is a 12 year old Tiffin bus (43'). They either sent photos or were asked to send photos, I can't remember which, because it was older than 10 years.

Our resort (owned by Sun RV) has 500 sites. I would estimate that well over 100 of them are occupied by RVs each year that are over 10 years old, maybe more. If this is a new policy that Sun RV Resorts is starting to enforce then it is safe to say there will be a huge turnover in most of their resorts in Florida.

If I was the OP I would call the corporate offices and talk to someone.

Latest resources

Back