RV Year
RV Make
Open Range
RV Model
26 BHS
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
6000lbs
Hello everyone. I am new to pulling an RV and new to this forum. I've seen several posts about what weight distribution hitch to use. I was looking for guidance on how to calculate if one is even necessary.

I have a 2022 half ton silverado. 9,500 towing capacity. My camper is a 26ft bunkhouse that weighs 6000lbs dry. Figure once we load it down we might add 1000 lbs

Should I spend the money on a weight distribution or will a reg ball hitch be just fine?

Thanks

Not all receivers are made for weight distribution hitches. Sometimes there is a sticker on the receiver that states gross weight without and a gross weight with weight distribution. If it doesn't have a sticker that says with weight distribution then it is not made for it. On my motorhome mine is rated 5000 lb without and 10,000 lb with.

Get the weight distribution hitch with sway control, no calculating about it will make so much difference.

If the rear of your vehicle sags at all with the trailer attached (which is quite likely) you will benefit from a weight distribution hitch.

Get the weight distribution hitch . I tow with a 2016 Silverado 1500 and have only been towing a 23T6 travel trailer believe me wdh makes a big difference

We tow with a 2011 Chev Silverado LTZ. 5.3L, 3:42 rear end. 9500 lbs towing capacity. Cargo weight capacity 1385 lbs.

The TT is rated at MAX 7685 lbs. The hitch weight was measured at 775 lbs. With trailer on and WDH in place, the rear, and front of the tow drops 1/2" to 3/4". Without the WDH, the tow drops about 4" to 5" in the rear.

YEP, you need a WDH with sway control for the rig. You the driver will feel much more in control. Without the WDH, the tail wags the dog.

and with a 4-5“ drop you’ll have light (potentially unsafe) steering and your headlights will be raised to the point that your lowbeams will look like high beams to oncoming traffic and will be less effective for driving. Plus your rig will look poorly put together. The best sway control is proper loading whoch puts more weight in front of the trailer axles and so more tongue weight and more need for a WDH.

I am new to the RV Forum and I have 2 travel trailers I use to rent out. I have a Ford F350 SRW 8ft box 4x4. I use it for pulling the TT and have pulled with a conventional hitch and I have used a weight distribution hitch. Either way I get the swaying on the trailer, Yes using the distribution hitch with the bars is better but still having the issue.

Any ideas?????????????

I am new to the RV Forum and I have 2 travel trailers I use to rent out. I have a Ford F350 SRW 8ft box 4x4. I use it for pulling the TT and have pulled with a conventional hitch and I have used a weight distribution hitch. Either way I get the swaying on the trailer, Yes using the distribution hitch with the bars is better but still having the issue.

Any ideas?????????????
Hi Trigger. What is your hitch weight. You should try to target 10 to 15 percent of the trailer weight.

Do you have one of those decks on the back of the trailer that are used for cargo? Those are horrible for causing sway.

And last but not least. Speed causes sway. What speeds are you travelling at. 60 to 65 mph should be about max.

Cheers.

I never pull the trailer over 65, I think that's plenty fast. No it's not a toy hauler just a conventional TT.
No I have not looked into the hitch weight, figured having a F350 it would be sufficient

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back