• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Welcome Elli to the RV family

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal, while we don't have Labs, we have had Brittanies in the past and larger dogs need both exercise and routine. Right now, I'm guessing the change in her routine from that of the past few months is throwing her a curve and she's uncertain. She will come around once she gets into a new routine.

One thing that has worked for us is to establish a routine and use special treats as a reward for the dogs doing things on schedule. We go out at 7:00 am for a "good morning pee," 10:00 am for a long walk, 12:30 pm for "pee and crumpets" (their special treat), 4:30 pm for an "after-dinner (their dinner) walk", 7:00 pm "just in case" and a 10:30 pm +/- "bedtime pee."

Believe me, they know their routine down to the second...and, by name." And, if I'm not paying attention, I get reminded. I'm sure Elli will get back into a routine...if you help her. Make her outside times special and she will respond.

TJ

Thanks @TJ&LadyDi - I agree. It's a tough balance for me as I work (a lot) from the RV so trying to get her energy handled and my time needed to do my work is a tough balance. My prior lab was content being with me as she was more senior, this one is in max energy phase. We need to do some serious training this trip, she is well trained but she has a mind of her own (most of the time). Of course I can't find her pinch collar so I'll have to go get one today so she'll get a car ride and some shopping.

Time changes are also hard, we changed to central time and will soon move two hours further back when we hit AZ so working the meals and treat times slowly towards normal is an effort.

It's all good, she's just super happy and super social, high energy, and I need the long walks too, working on it :) Grumpy old fart and puppy don't mix well ?

Thanks @TJ&LadyDi - I agree. It's a tough balance for me as I work (a lot) from the RV so trying to get her energy handled and my time needed to do my work is a tough balance. My prior lab was content being with me as she was more senior, this one is in max energy phase. We need to do some serious training this trip, she is well trained but she has a mind of her own (most of the time). Of course I can't find her pinch collar so I'll have to go get one today so she'll get a car ride and some shopping.

Time changes are also hard, we changed to central time and will soon move two hours further back when we hit AZ so working the meals and treat times slowly towards normal is an effort.

It's all good, she's just super happy and super social, high energy, and I need the long walks too, working on it :) Grumpy old fart and puppy don't mix well ?
I know it is hard to find the right routine and balance of energy levels, but with a bit of work, Miss Elli will have you right back into a proper routine! Grumpy old men are harder to train than young, active dogs, so it may take a little extra effort on her part...but, I know she's up to it. ;)

TJ

A few pics of Elli at 14 months.

FB9EA6ED-0427-4E21-9AC9-ED6ECABF316E.jpeg
F1DC4F4B-6C8B-448A-9AE4-B69E414816C1.jpeg
9A791BE8-2C4E-47AC-9EDD-62C38E3AEFC3.jpeg

She's looking great in those pics :cool: I used to take our pup to Camp Bow Wow (CBW) 3 times a week but since I retired, and she hurt her leg, she's down to one day a week. She loves it there although now she does more napping than playing (she's 6 now). CBW is a nation wide franchise based company - not sure where you took Eli but there might be a place nearby to get her worked out. Just need Kennel cough shot, flu shot and her normal shots and she's free to play. She'll love you for it.
As for getting her on a schedule - do you feed her once or twice a day? I feed our pup 2x a day so about an hour after her meal it's walk time for #1 & 2. She lets me know if she has to pee any other time (like every time I let off the gas in the coach she thinks we're at a rest stop).

I feed her 2X a day (morning/eve) and yeah, multiple walks a day which is good for both of us. I always lose weight while RVing, this is probably part of the reason why. They have a big dog park at this CG so we go there a few times a day. Two labs came earlier today, they probably regretted it, but she got some race track time.

Sorry for the lose of your pet. We have been through that also. The one you pictured here is an absolutely cutie.

Whoa…that last post scared me to death; I thought something had happened to Elli. The reference must have been to the passing of Sam. Whew!!!

TJ

Latest resources

Back