Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What do you think about this first year route?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Yorick1973

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Grand Design
RV Model
Solitude 378MBS
RV Length
42'
Fulltimer
Yes
Lord-willing, we start our full-timing in late October of this year. (See our introduction here.) Using RV Trip Planner, I mapped out our first year route. I'd love to get advice from others who have traveled in these areas. Tell me your concerns about the general area relative to the timeline. Any thoughts/concerns would be appreciated.

1691553116779.png

I have two comments.
1) Without seeing where in CA, you look fine although you do not want to take your rig into SF under any circumstances. There are options in the south peninsula and the east bay to stay that are trouble free and nice places to stay. Winter time is the prime season south in the desert (aka Palm Springs area) , so book early if you want to go there. The further south you stay the harder it is to find places as everyone wants to be somewhere relatively warm. Plan ahead.

2) I'd be very aware of weather conditions once you head to Alberquque. They get snow and I doubt you want to be traveling on any roads with snow or icey conditions. Check the weather.

I have two comments.
1) Without seeing where in CA, you look fine although you do not want to take your rig into SF under any circumstances. There are options in the south peninsula and the east bay to stay that are trouble free and nice places to stay. Winter time is the prime season south in the desert (aka Palm Springs area) , so book early if you want to go there. The further south you stay the harder it is to find places as everyone wants to be somewhere relatively warm. Plan ahead.

2) I'd be very aware of weather conditions once you head to Alberquque. They get snow and I doubt you want to be traveling on any roads with snow or icey conditions. Check the weather.
Thanks @sheridany! Good point about Albuquerque weather. I will add that to my items to check.

Totally great point about avoiding SF area and the general peninsula really. I'm actually from the area and why we'll go there for Thanksgiving time to see family. So, I know where to avoid especially the homeless encampments. :(

Awesome point about booking early because of high season. I will do that. I'm starting to reserve this week where I can.

You say fulltimers! This implies schedule is no longer an issue. Take your time and explore!
South=winter north =summer. When the weather cooperates you will enjoy yourself more!!! You can at least help Gaia with that outcome.

May the breeze be pleasant, and always on your back!!!

If you want to spend some time in the desert during the winter after LA check out Fountain of Youth Spa RV Resort just south of 10 on the east side of the Salton Sea. Very reasonable rates, very well managed (neat and orderly), and significant amenities and activities.

If you want to spend some time in the desert during the winter after LA check out Fountain of Youth Spa RV Resort just south of 10 on the east side of the Salton Sea. Very reasonable rates, very well managed (neat and orderly), and significant amenities and activities.
Checking them out now, @Rich W. . Thanks for the valuable tip. I may just add them on our path to replace another.

You say fulltimers! This implies schedule is no longer an issue. Take your time and explore!
South=winter north =summer. When the weather cooperates you will enjoy yourself more!!! You can at least help Gaia with that outcome.

May the breeze be pleasant, and always on your back!!!
Hi @Kevin D Pem , yes. In the second year, we'll have a less rigid schedule and flow more fluidly. We just happen to have commitments to be in Texas at a certain time which is what makes the first half of the trip challenging. After we leave Galveston, our schedule will be more fluid and we're planning to stay longer in places.

That's why the first half to Galveston is in a 2.5 month period then the back half is actually 4 months and may even stretch.

In the second year, we're going to take more of our time and even stay for a month in some places.

Latest resources

Back