Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What does a future fulltimer need to know?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
This raises another question recently proposed to me, many people that are storing the rigs during winter months of non-use reduce insurance coverage saving money. What if you are on your RV lot for multiple months during the winter, do you reduce coverage?

While we’re not full timers and probably never will be, I have always wondered about what a full timer does for medical checkups, prescriptions, inoculations etc. We lean heavily on our primary care physician for all these standard medical services. What do you full timers do?

We have been full-time for 3 years and we travel through our "in network" area twice a year. Emergency room is covered by most insurance, you are just sick on vacation. Regular medical needs to be "in network", if you go to an out of network provider, your insurance may not cover it- call first! My Medicare supplement has 'passport' for extended stays. Hope this helps & enjoy the trip!

While we’re not full timers and probably never will be, I have always wondered about what a full timer does for medical checkups, prescriptions, inoculations etc. We lean heavily on our primary care physician for all these standard medical services. What do you full timers do?

Older post by J&JD, but missed it. We use a Medicare Advantage PPO plan. Our primary doctor is the same one we had in SW Florida when we owned the sticknbrick. Since we return to the general area and winter here it was easy to keep her for all of our scripts and checkups. She writes our annual scripts for 3 month supplies through CVS. Once it is in their system it can be filled at any CVS anywhere in the U.S.

We also use a couple other doctors up north where we always stay at least 2 months every summer to visit kids and grandkids. All of our medical needs are scheduled during the mid-summer extended stay north or extended winter stay in SW Florida. Anything that comes up in between can be handled by a local prompt care. If anything real serious would present itself while traveling then it is a good thing our house has wheels.

Fulltiming is probably in my future. Right now I'm "most timing". I like having my house in VA but I'm fortunate to have family that can look after it so I can enjoy months away at a time. I'd love to learn what a potential fulltimer needs to know. How to establish residency and where. Pros and Cons. And how to sustain the fulltiming lifestyle to avoid burnout or other potential downsides to the lifestyle, which I'd love to hear about as well.

Many of us responded to your original thread starter back in November. But now in the middle of a national emergency how does it change our conversation about being full time or becoming a full timer?

Any full timer that owns their own site is probably going to ease through these bad times better. Having a site you can get to and stay on for an indefinite period of time until the emergency passes now seems more important than ever.

We had put off purchasing a site. However, as I have mentioned in other posts recently, we found a Florida resort that offered an outstanding monthly rate for a 2 year lease. It was just pure luck that we signed the lease agreement prior to this virus situation getting serious. Now we can hunker down on our own site and we have our own 10x10 building on site to keep extra stuff in. The location is still within 90 miles of our regular doctor and 70 miles from our regular mailing address (friend's address).

I now think having a "home base" RV site that you can use whenever you need to is something every full time RVer should consider. It doesn't matter if you own it or lease it. If that site can be within 100 miles of family and/or doctors it would also be a huge bonus.

We also full time. Timing of this pandemic and the mass exodus of Canadian’s opened up the availability of sites here in Casa Grande. We had left 3/1 but decided to return, as it was best place to sit it with large sites which make social distancing easy. I agree for those with an RV site on annual/ permanent agreement, situations like this could have an advantage.

Good point about being in a place with larger sites. Our leased site is either 40x80 or 40x85. Our park is also in the country, the closest small town being 3 miles away.

Now the question is how long will we all need to stay put in order to ride this thing out safely?

I wish I was able to sit in my site in Minnesota during this situation, but it's a might bit cold there besides, the campground doesn't even open until May 15. The size of the site does make a difference. The largest site I have been in was at Saguaro SKP park in Benson, AZ, but the sites at Rover's Roost aren't bad either.
Hey, NWIP, where in Casa Grande are you staying?

We are staying at Palm Creek, it’s a good place to wait this out

We are staying at Palm Creek, it’s a good place to wait this out
I was curious. I'm over in Rover's Roost. Didn't know if we met or not! Guess not....... besides, I don't play golf........:)

Latest resources

Back