Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question What does the inverter actually power, and when?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good info for those with a Magnum inverter, @RandyB. In our case, however, we have a Xantrex SW3012 3000W unit.

TJ

oops. I didn't pick up on that minor little detail.
Attached is a manual for what I think is your unit. Very similar details of operation, but one significant difference...the input AC amperage for the breaker is CONFIGURABLE. In the settings it can be programmed to match the line circuit breaker that feeds the AC to the inverter. However, it trips at 80% of that value, if I read it properly on page 22. In both units, the circuit breaker is there to protect the inverter. Happy reading.

Attachments

• Freedom SW 120V NA Owners Guide (97-0019-01-01_Rev-G)_ENG.pdf
    6.1 MB · Views: 13
oops. I didn't pick up on that minor little detail.
Attached is a manual for what I think is your unit. Very similar details of operation, but one significant difference...the input AC amperage for the breaker is CONFIGURABLE. In the settings it can be programmed to match the line circuit breaker that feeds the AC to the inverter. However, it trips at 80% of that value, if I read it properly on page 22. In both units, the circuit breaker is there to protect the inverter. Happy reading.
Thanks, @RandyB; that is the correct manual and will be very useful. It has been saved to my manuals file on the iCloud. Thanks very much. I know what I'll be reading today.

TJ

Another reminder about volts DC to volts AC, in regard to what the inverter is doing. Also remember that the fuse feeding the inverter from the battery bank is likely 350 amps.

31.703 amps @ 120 VAC= 350 amps @ 12VDC

3804.36 watts @ 120VAC = 350 amps @ 12VDC
That's not all that much wattage. Be mindful of what is running off the inverter at the same time.

Yours appear randomly wired sadly, you have "AC Rear" on the right of your line too which should be on shore power only.
I'm betting there's nothing random with Joe's panel. He could probably run his entire coach on batteries - and mine, too.

I'm betting there's nothing random with Joe's panel. He could probably run his entire coach on batteries - and mine, too.
Well Buddy - there are a big bunch of batteries, inverters and wires down there; would probably work! I've been known to overbuild a little (like 400amp service to the new RV pad). Hope to see you soon!

Sorry...missed the fun.

i would really need to look at the schematic of the Inverter to see what the Inverter case mounted breaker is protecting.

We’ve been getting stuff packed for a quick trip to GA.

Latest resources

Back