Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Looking up the value of my coach on NADA. When it came to mileage I saw this:

Mileage
Mileage MAY be taken into consideration for gas engine only.
Enter Mileage:
(DO NOT use for diesel engines)
That is what I was thinking when I first read this post, but.
The more I thought the more I considered vibration and the toll it has on anything going down the road. A full timer can wear out the interior long before even a gas drive train will fail. I really don't know how I would judge value for resale. Many people could not put a professional finish on wood trim, or be able to re upholster the furniture to professional standards. Yet without that kind of care the value will constantly erode. Much faster if used all the time than as a vacation home. Do they have professional appraisers for RVs?

You can get an on-line appraisal from NIRVC that asks the important questions:
This will give you some idea what to look for if buying.
I feel that maintenance is the key more so than mileage.
I send an oil sample to a lab at each oil change. It gives me and the next owner peace of mind.

My 2 cents:
The first RV we had was a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 3778 on a Wokhorse W-22 chassis. The coach had 42,500 miles on it. When I went to look at it, took a friend that has had 5 Class A/C RV's, & lots of mechanical experience. His remarks were, "I'm not sure I've seen an older coach as nice as this one"! He was very, very impressed! As was I !
This coach looked like new on the inside, & everything was original, even the 2 old bulky TV's. Checked it out stem to stern, everything functioned. As for the drive train, we also drove it about 60-70 miles, & it purred like a kitten. It was a one owner, ordered new from Newmar. Had a professional inspector check it over, including driving it. He recommended changing the marker light lens, and one headlight, which I had done prior to driving it away. The underside of the chassis looked like a new one, & obviously this coach had had extremely great care taken of it, even to be stored inside when not in use. Due to it being like new, & was so impressive, is what led me to buy a new Newmar.
The couple that bought it from us, love it, and remarked that this was a "special coach", as they had looked at numerous others.
At a Newmar Rally, was parked beside a 2017 Ventana owner, he came over & while we were drinking coffee, asked if my coach was a 2010 or 2011! I was extremely pleased, & he was shocked that it was a 2004. He said he had seen 4-5 year old Newmar's that didn't look as good!
So, it is possible to have a 16 year old coach that looks like new, and runs like it too, if properly taken care of & maintained!
I love my 2020 Newmar, but would not be upset if I still had the 2004!

If the owner takes care of it, routine maintenance, etc., they can go hundreds of thousands of miles. Transmission service about 3-5 years depending on Type of fluid, transynd versus normal, engine oil and filter changes, fuel filter changes, lubrication and inspections of the chassis, all that. My last coach had 60K, and I never worried about the mileage, age, out in the sun, etc. are more harsh on it than miles, since MH's seem to sit a lot, instead of being driven. Machinery is designed to work.

It's more about how you use your coach. If you haven't read about the 10 year rule it would behoove you to read up. Many RV parks don't allow RVs older than 15 years. This is the real limitation on how long your coach will last. It can still be a beauty but!!!

So, then it also depends on where you plan to go. I won't spend money enough on camping to go to the places that limit the age of the MH. Perhaps I should splurge and try one for two weeks one year. Then go to my economy place with all of the discounts for the next month.

I have provided consulting services for many RV park owners over the years . . .
Consulting services for RV park owners? Interesting. My new best friend. :)

It's more about how you use your coach. If you haven't read about the 10 year rule it would behoove you to read up. Many RV parks don't allow RVs older than 15 years. This is the real limitation on how long your coach will last. It can still be a beauty but!!!
Are you referring to RV parks where you stay for an extended period of time?

Are you referring to RV parks where you stay for an extended period of time?
Different parks have different rules. I can tell you this though: if your coach is in good shape, you won’t have a problem at 99 percent of parks.

Latest resources

Back