Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
We are in the middle now of making a deal on a new DP. Looks like we will travel to So Cal to get it in a couple of weeks. Thinking of taking the Canyon down there and towing it back so I will need to install a tow bar. Been looking at options and the Blue Ox seems to stand out. Looking for any advice. I will be installing it myself so looking for a well made system that is straight forward to install. I like the folding design instead of the solid units that stow upright. I appreciate the input.
Rusty

Well Blue Ox is popular and proven. I use it. There are also a couple others that enjoy good reviews. As for DIY on this, I dont know what will be entailed with setting up a Canyon (dont know what that is) but with the base plate, brake system and wiring, this is something that you are much better off driving back home (or flying there to pick up the coach) and tackling it in your garage, with ALL your tools, supplies, and shop stuff.

It would be very difficult to anticipate every need for installing all that stuff in a parking lot. Another option is just paying the $4-5k and having it all done. Having done this myself on my Jeep TJ (easy) and rejecting doing it on my Edge (doable but ridiculous) I would pay someone to do it on a Ute. Too much disassembly and modifications invloved. So, thats my .02 worth - Hope it all works out.

Well Blue Ox is popular and proven. I use it. There are also a couple others that enjoy good reviews. As for DIY on this, I dont know what will be entailed with setting up a Canyon (dont know what that is) but with the base plate, brake system and wiring, this is something that you are much better off driving back home (or flying there to pick up the coach) and tackling it in your garage, with ALL your tools, supplies, and shop stuff.

It would be very difficult to anticipate every need for installing all that stuff in a parking lot. Another option is just paying the $4-5k and having it all done. Having done this myself on my Jeep TJ (easy) and rejecting doing it on my Edge (doable but ridiculous) I would pay someone to do it on a Ute. Too much disassembly and modifications invloved. So, thats my .02 worth - Hope it all works out.
The Canyon is a GMC version of the Chevy Colorado pick up. I would be doing the install at home before driving to SoCal to pick up the RV. I need to look into the specifics of the interface with the coach in terms of wiring for the TOAD.

It took me 2 weeks to get my baseplate for my 2010 silverado. Putting it on is the hardest part of the toad thing.
This video shows you having to take the front off for Canyon install of this model.

I installed a Roadmaster hitch. I have been happy with the tow bar. Regardless of whether you go with Roadmaster or Blue Ox the etrailer website has good videos for reviews and installation.

Latest resources

Back