Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What to do about this?! Severed line to heater core...

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

the7thchakra

RVF Newbee
2006 Coachmen Mirada.

Three years ago, we discovered that the cab heater didn't work. I researched a lot and there was talk about the vacuum lines. That seemed plausible, because the cruise control was also out. Everything said they were blue, but the only blue lines I found in the front were electrical (yay!).

On closer inspection, I found the situation shown below: someone (prior owners, I'm assuming) sliced off the hot water lines to the heater core.

1) What can I do about this?

2) What feeds the heater core? Does it come straight out of the radiator system? If so, am I at risk of engine overheating? Or is the radiator core a closed system, and the heater hot water feed is independent (I hope!).

image.png
image-2.png
image_720.png

Usually that would indicate a previous owner by passing the heater core rather than fixing it.

Looks like the hot antifreeze control valve or the actuator cable got stuck open. So he was getting hot air in the summer. Out of frustration, he just cut out and disabled the heater. My guess is just to trace the left over hoses and reinstall them with a new valve. Make sure the cable is functioning two. Most likely it is rusted and stuck.
The heater core is fed from the radiator most likely? All that is guessing on my part of course.

Looks like the hot antifreeze control valve or the actuator cable got stuck open. So he was getting hot air in the summer. Out of frustration, he just cut out and disabled the heater. My guess is just to trace the left over hoses and reinstall them with a new valve. Make sure the cable is functioning two. Most likely it is rusted and stuck.
The heater core is fed from the radiator most likely? All that is guessing on my part of course.
Thanks. I'll look into that. It looks like all of the hoses supporting that have been removed or are stuffed behind the (whatever it is: firewall? doghouse?). Put another way, I don't see any loose hoses that would connect to the "IN" side of that control valve.

When he cut the hoses they likely cut them close to where attach to the engine and then connected the two points on the engine with a short loop.

Latest resources

Back