Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Sherkad25

RVF Newbee
Just bought our first RV and planning on a seasonal site from April-October. Except for a couple week long stays we will only be staying in it on weekends or perhaps every other weekend. I was wondering if you pull your slides in when you're not staying in it or if you leave them out. It almost seems to me like leaving them out would create less opportunity for leaks to develop in the seals but our salesman told us we should bring them in every time we leave. Any advice? Thank you.

Depends on how close you are to it. If you will be there every weekend, I would think you could leave them out. That assumes you can get to it in the event of severe weather forecast. I bring mine in if there are going to be high winds. Either way, keep the seals lubricated.

Just bought our first RV and planning on a seasonal site from April-October. Except for a couple week long stays we will only be staying in it on weekends or perhaps every other weekend. I was wondering if you pull your slides in when you're not staying in it or if you leave them out. It almost seems to me like leaving them out would create less opportunity for leaks to develop in the seals but our salesman told us we should bring them in every time we leave. Any advice? Thank you.
Personally, I'd bring them in. Less space to heat/cool.

In

When your slides are in, the rubber seals are covered up and better protected from the weather, plus it should form a tight seal on all edges of the slide when closed.

Below are a few reasons why I would close them...
  1. Rain water can pool-up and run into your coach from the seals if the coach (or slide) is not level.
  2. Inspect every seal on each slide to make sure there are no gaps, openings, loose or poor fittings.
  3. Open slides will give bugs a better chance to find a way inside your coach around the seals.
  4. With your slides open, the rubber seals are more exposed to weather (hot sun, rain, dirt, etc.) which can in time dry them out to where they will crack and/or deteriorate. Apply slide seal conditioner minimum 2x/year to keep the rubber soft.
  5. You also expose much more surface areas of your coach to the weather when slides are open.
  6. Nothing will be noticeable right away, but over time you will start to see your seals become more worn, the roof of your slides will be grimy from being left open all the time.
  7. You never know what kind of weather conditions will occur when you are away, and weather can be one of the hardest things on an RV.
  8. As previously mentioned, less space to heat and cool when slides are in.
  9. Final note... make sure to get wheel covers for your tires to protect the rubber and rims.
Hope this helps... :)

When your slides are in, the rubber seals are covered up and better protected from the weather, plus it should form a tight seal on all edges of the slide when closed.

Below are a few reasons why I would close them...
  1. Rain water can pool-up and run into your coach from the seals if the coach (or slide) is not level.
  2. Inspect every seal on each slide to make sure there are no gaps, openings, loose or poor fittings.
  3. Open slides will give bugs a better chance to find a way inside your coach around the seals.
  4. With your slides open, the rubber seals are more exposed to weather (hot sun, rain, dirt, etc.) which can in time dry them out to where they will crack and/or deteriorate. Apply slide seal conditioner minimum 2x/year to keep the rubber soft.
  5. You also expose much more surface areas of your coach to the weather when slides are open.
  6. Nothing will be noticeable right away, but over time you will start to see your seals become more worn, the roof of your slides will be grimy from being left open all the time.
  7. You never know what kind of weather conditions will occur when you are away, and weather can be one of the hardest things on an RV.
  8. As previously mentioned, less space to heat and cool when slides are in.
  9. Final note... make sure to get wheel covers for your tires to protect the rubber and rims.
Hope this helps... :)
Helps a ton. Thank you very much.

Latest resources

Back