Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

VeraPSpeck

RVF Newbee
I’m looking for suggestions on how to prepare my RV to sit for a week without us in an RV park where temperatures will reach over a hundred?! Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome @VeraPSpeck. If you're going to be on power then I would leave the AC(s) on but maybe at a higher setpoint (temp). If you have slides (don't know what RV you have) I'd bring them in and be prepared for any storms that may roll through. Close all blinds/shades to help keep cool. Bring in any patio furniture, etc.

Thanks for your response! Yes, those were all suggestions I thought I should do! We are currently in a 2014 keystone passport while our house is being built. We’ve decided to try this lifestyle during the process. Loving it so much we’ve put a hold on the build and may upgrade our camper to a fifth wheel toy hauler to house our Harley. Any suggestions on one? You’re response has given me confidence that I may actually know how to continue this RV living!!!

Welcome @VeraPSpeck. If you're going to be on power then I would leave the AC(s) on but maybe at a higher setpoint (temp). If you have slides (don't know what RV you have) I'd bring them in and be prepared for any storms that may roll through. Close all blinds/shades to help keep cool. Bring in any patio furniture, etc.
Yeah, what he said.

I'm actually doing this exact thing now that we bought the lake property and leave the bus over there under the pole barn. Its hooked up to electric so I leave the A/C on but turn the thermostat up to 78-80 degrees. I turn the water off in case a pipe were to burst. I also turn OFF the water heater. No need for it to run. I pull all the shades so the sun doesn't heat up the interior. I dump the waste tank and rinse it out to try to keep the smells down. I dump the grey water tank as well. I leave both valves closed. I lock the basement doors and the entry door. I put away the things we normally leave sitting around outside in the pole barn in case a storm would come through. And that's about it.

Thanks for your response! Yes, those were all suggestions I thought I should do! We are currently in a 2014 keystone passport while our house is being built. We’ve decided to try this lifestyle during the process. Loving it so much we’ve put a hold on the build and may upgrade our camper to a fifth wheel toy hauler to house our Harley. Any suggestions on one? You’re response has given me confidence that I may actually know how to continue this RV living!!!
Before upgrading the RV, know what your truck can reasonably handle (80% rule). Always out truck your RV by at least 30% in my book.

I'm actually doing this exact thing now that we bought the lake property and leave the bus over there under the pole barn. Its hooked up to electric so I leave the A/C on but turn the thermostat up to 78-80 degrees. I turn the water off in case a pipe were to burst. I also turn OFF the water heater. No need for it to run. I pull all the shades so the sun doesn't heat up the interior. I dump the waste tank and rinse it out to try to keep the smells down. I dump the grey water tank as well. I leave both valves closed. I lock the basement doors and the entry door. I put away the things we normally leave sitting around outside in the pole barn in case a storm would come through. And that's about it.
I would suggest maybe getting in there and exercising everything once a month or so. Just run it all off the generator so it gets a load and gets worked as well. You don’t want that stuff to sit idle or mothballed too long.

Latest resources

Back