• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What type and how old is too old?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Been interested in campers for a while off and on, a little more now that we are approaching retirement. I've always liked the Air Stream design but they seem heavy and expensive. Lately I've run across Casita brand which has some of the attributes of the Air Stream I like, mostly the more aerodynamic design (although not metal skinned.) What are some other decent quality bumper pulls? Kind of looking at something in the approx 15' range (at least for now.) Ideally we want something with black, gray, and domestic water for primitive set up for short periods if necessary. Would be great to overnight at a truck stop or just go off road for a couple of days (I've done some pretty extensive backpacking over years, the wife's idea of "roughing it" is a Hampton so this is the compromise.)

When I think of travel trailers and repairs, I have flashbacks to my youth where after my school job sometimes involved installing things or making repairs in mobile homes. We used to hate them because everything, parts, measurements, even tools, were always "one off". Are there any brands that are easier to fix and repair? Find replacement parts and appliances? ... which leads in to the next question, how old is too old when buying used.

I'm kinda' tall, is it reasonable to expect to find a camper that has a long enough bed (queen) my feet don't hang off the end (something the military never quite figured out...) :)

thanks

I don't think there is a trailer to old. That said the older the cruder the amenities. Someplace in the 60's trailers got better heads but still many used the black water tank for gray water or no gray water holding tank at all. 15' trailers have fairly small fresh water tanks.

Even Airstream and HR seem skinny on amenities until someplace in the 70's note that there is a 10year rule at many private parks that will keep anything older out of their park, with exceptions.

I would not want anything without a welded aluminum frame. aluminum frames are associated with the word "lite" and hold up better than wood that rots. I would not choose a flat sided plastic trailer as many have boils on them where they separated. Off paved roads are hard on anything so aluminum it would be. Casitas have been built for years under different badges. looking at some of the older ones left something to be desired so would stick with new if that was the direction I was going. A Canadian trailer called a "big foot" is similar to the Casita with slightly squarer look and much nicer inside. Of the two the big foot wins my vote. But I would be looking for an Airstream my first choice, the small ones are called bambies.

First, welcome to RVF; great to have you here with us.

Your list of wants is a pretty tall order (pun intended) for any 15' trailer. ;) Doubtful that you will find a queen bed in one that size. And, virtually all RV mattresses are shorter than their sticks-and-bricks counterparts.

I do agree with the post above that an Airstream would be at the top of my list for a trailer in the size range you are considering. Another possibility is the Canadian-made Escape series. Home - Escape Trailer. They have a fiberglass shell that is pretty durable.

Good luck in your search.

TJ

Latest resources

Back