• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What wind speeds make you nervous?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
70 mph side wind took 10 years off my life. No place to pull off for 30+ miles. Empty semis blown over ahead of us. Finally found a small rest area and backed into the wind. That was about 15 years ago when we didn't have access to as good weather forecasts as we do today.

Used to say I am a fair weather sailor! I don't like stressing equipment, I don't like stressing passengers, I don't like putting out proverbial fires.
If there is a chance I will be thrown into oncoming traffic, I won't test my skills to see if "I can".

I plan around weather, never a schedule! I have no heart palpitations, no ulcers, and am not a nervous wreck! I like it that way, I won't ask others what they think! My comfort level is likely different than theirs.

70 mph side wind took 10 years off my life. No place to pull off for 30+ miles. Empty semis blown over ahead of us. Finally found a small rest area and backed into the wind. That was about 15 years ago when we didn't have access to as good weather forecasts as we do today.
Good heavens, I wouldn’t have thought that possible!

I check accuweather and weather.com, if it's storms I just stay where I am until the next day.

I got caught by a not forecasted storm on I10 west of Tallahassee a few years ago. 60+ mile an hour wind gusts and nowhere to pull over because it was raining so hard if I pulled over I'd have been hit from behind. It was pushing my Camelot onto the shoulder. It came out of nowhere.

After 8 miles of that finally a rest area and we pulled in. 3 minutes later it quit. 5 minutes later my phone started blaring with a severe weather alert. A little late there accuweather.

I sat there for about 15 minutes just gathering my wits.

Wind can be very scary, out of no where….

I also have road condition apps for several states on my phone and tablet (plus bookmarked on my laptop). Just go to the app store you prefer and type in "(state) road conditions app". It's not just wind that you have to watch out for.

Honestly? That depends. On the boat the answer would be about 40 MPH and Idon't enjoy being out there. On land I don't enjoy anything over 20MPH only because I don't like dust storms.

Latest resources

Back