• Commercial/Vendors welcome

What's your favorite handgun?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I need a revolver. I simply don't have the hand strength to pull back on those types of guns with the top slide to cock. (dont know what they are called). I was called Annie Oakley in Army ROTC about 1000 years ago in college. I'd have to take a class now tho, for re-training and safety and for my peace of mind.

I need a revolver. I simply don't have the hand strength to pull back on those types of guns with the top slide to cock. (dont know what they are called). I was called Annie Oakley in Army ROTC about 1000 years ago in college. I'd have to take a class now tho, for re-training and safety and for my peace of mind.

Just so you know, Beretta makes the 3032 Tomcat pistol that doesn’t require you to rack the slide. It has a tip up barrel that allows you to insert the first round in the chamber. After shooting that first round the semi-auto takes over. Granted it is chambered for the much maligned .32 ACP but with modern ammo it is a very good defensive round.

In today’s environment guns and ammo are in short supply so finding a Beretta might be an issue. Fortunately since the .32 ACP has fallen out of favor you would have a better chance of finding it in stores or online.

Not my favorite handgun but it is my favorite "novelty" gun. My NAA .22 Long Rifle.

IMG_0536_1.jpg

Revolvers are simple and hard to mess up. Just point and shoot when the time comes. No safety to check. No remembering if you chambered a round or not??? It's why I bought one for my wife. She had a Taurus .38 hammerless revolver. Light weight. But she couldn't hit the target at the range because the trigger pull was too much for her. By the time she got the trigger pulled she had jerked her hand to the side. So I bought her the S&W Featherweight .38 hammerless revolver. The trigger pull must be HALF what it is on the Taurus. Now she can hit the bullseye with ease. ;)

I fear of shooting a gun in my motorhome and it exits the motorhome and hits an innocent bystander. I did research low penetration rounds but still had some concerns. I now carry a Governor that shoots 410 shotgun shells, 45 long Colt and 45 ACP. I normally have it loaded with 6 self-defense shotgun shells which contain 3 30 Cal disks and 12 steel BBs. I have pattern this at 40 feet and the disk hit within 4 to 6 inches of each other and about half the BBs will hit a normal target.
I do have Ruger 1911, Bodyguard 380, and Ruger Single 6 22 Cal. When Boondocking and off-roading I carry the Single 6 with snake shot and if the bear country I carry bear spray and the Governor with 45 long colts 240 grain to backup the bear spray.

Last edited:
I'm weird. I have what I call my boobie gun a 38 special derringer. I love it. It has lived in my go pack for about 8 years maybe.

An ez carry for me.
Kimber Micro 380w/ laser sight.

I’m sure my views are slanted...but the thing about self-defense is NOT to have a lot of different ones. I own a few different handguns...but all but my personal defense weapon...got parked in the safe 17 years ago. I train and maintain a single platform. My sight picture, grip, muscle memory, trigger action...is always 100% the same. I don’t even mix ammunition. Same, same, same... because when the heat is ON your training is your edge. Train with the same, become completely familiar and competent with the same...of course, unless you have the time and money to train with John Wick. Then anything you touch works well... just kidding.

One day I may switch to a smaller platform like the Sig P365...but I have to know how it feels in my hand and how defining the trigger action is. I learned to love my H&K USP40C w/LEM trigger. Double Action only. I have put over 15,000 rounds thru this platform. I am satisfied that it behaves well when placed in my hand.

If I had the time and money...I would love to build a custom race gun for competition shooting...but I can’t justify the investment in either right now.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back