Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

FYI What's your wet bay temperature when in extreme cold?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I have two sensors in my wet bay to monitor temps and also alert me if it goes below a set threshold. Tempstick is one but I also have a sensor from my Victron solar controller system wired into the bay behind the panel. I'm plugged in to shore power and have the OASIS AC I/II ON. Furnace is set to 50F for both zones to keep the house warm as well. It's interesting to see what the wet bay temp is when temps such as last night got down to the 20's here in VA. My wet bay temp is a a steady 57F. It's interesting as I'm also monitoring the battery temps and it only got down to 34F.

I've read discussions on Facebook about heating pads, depending on your coach config they are not necessary. If you have the OASIS system and you can look under your wet bay panel you'll see a silver metal box which is a heat register. The coach is monitoring the temp, there is a sensor on the left wall and this register will keep your tanks heated automatically. OASIS needs to be on (requires 120V for AC I/II or Diesel burner ON).

If you're concerned about the cold there shouldn't be a need to as long as you understand your coach which not everyone does. Ask questions and learn from others.

I find my wet bay temp is just a few degrees cooler than my interior temp when using Oasis as you described. I also keep the interior temp around 50 so there are no surproses.

I wasn’t aware of a temp sensor for the solar controllers but it makes sense. Both of mine (also Victron) have blue tooth gizmos so I’ll look into that so I can monitor temp too - got a link to the sensor you use?

Since I have two controllers I guess I could use one sensor for the wet bay temp and the other for the battery bay, although since I’m still using LA batteries that doesn’t matter much. Still interesting though since that bay is open to the environment.

It all depends where the sensor is located. My tempstick is below the wet bay panel so it's picking up temps between the door and wet bay panel and will be slightly cooler but an interesting reading. This is also right next to Newmar's temp sensor (looks like a silver nickel on the end of a wire). My Victron GX temp sensor is behind the panel and better represents the tank temps.

Different system than you folks, but I am impressed with Newmar’s insulation. At least down to 32 degrees F, the bay temperatures are 8-10 degrees higher. Below 40 degrees, I turn on the tank heaters.

I only use the furnace 3-4 times per night for 10-15 min., to assist keeping the temps from reaching 32 degrees.

The Oasis keeps my wet bay and most of the basement about 50°F. The temperature trigger for the wet bay furnace is supposed to be around 40°F but mine is definitely higher than that. It's been getting down to around 20°F here and no issues keeping the plumbing operating.

Looks like starting to warmup!!! we had -14f and the lowest I saw the wet bay was at 35f. My sensor in wet bay is hanging low from the water filter. So it is close to the bottom and next to the wet bay compartment door. Likely the coolest loaction.

Its cool enough, but I think the 30mph wind is more of the problem. Other than that, all good. the water supply hasn't frozen yet. Just need to hang on for another 24hr before we get into + side of the single digits. If it wasn't for so much air leaks from the slides and more so from the step well, it'd have been considerably better.

Attachments

• Temp (1).jpg
    Temp (1).jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
  • Temp (2).jpg
    Temp (2).jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
Even though I blow all the pipes out for the winter, I still run the heat at about 42 (both zones). This keeps the RV at that set point very well. I also have sensors in my RV: Wet bay, Basement, battery bay, one in the front of the RV and one in the back of the RV.

My wet bay usually stays about 2 degrees warmer than inside the RV (43-45)…and I suspect that is due to the different sensitivity of the thermostat in that bay and also the sudden and probably substantial blast of warm air that arrives when that heater register comes on.

Hope this helps.

Latest resources

Back