• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Which Class A to buy for full time use

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think you can widen your mileage parameters a bit. For instance our 2017 Dutch Star 4018 has 55k on it and probably runs better now than when it was new. I would have no problem purchasing a coach with 50k+ miles as long as the owner had good service records.
Thanks for the info. In your opinion what is the typical mileage one can expect before tire replacement?

Thanks for this info amd photo. That is an awesome trailer. 🤩 The enclosed area in the front would be great for us. I will get with ATC and see if they can come up with something for our application. We typically avoid city traffic but of course its not always possible. Did you find enough RV sites that would allow room for the trailer? I assume this is aluminum?
This is a huge step for us but we are excited.
Andre

It is aluminum
Finding sites is tough, especially on the east coast. East coast a toad/4-down would be much easier.
The further west you go, the easier it gets to find campgrounds with the extra long sites or extra parking for trailers.
Another consideration - A trailer also takes longer to load up than a toad.
Trailer is also more weight - both on the tongue of the rig and also pulling uphill.
Our rig has a 30,000# towing capacity and can handle 5,000# on the tongue. According to scales, trailer fully loaded, we are just under 10,000# for the trailer (including the tongue weight) and under 2,000 on the tongue.
when looking a A-Class rigs you will need to be careful to check your towing weight limits as many of them have limits around 10,000# total.

Thanks for the info. In your opinion what is the typical mileage one can expect before tire replacement?

Unless you do a lot of traveling, most tires on RVs age out before they wear out.

Personally, as we have tandem screw axles on our rig (8 tires on the rear), we MAY keep the rears a bit longer, but the steering tires will be replaced around year 6, long before the tread would say they need to be replaced. Don’t want to risk a blowout on a front tire. You can find lots of stories about accidents caused when a steering tire blows.

Here is a setup we’re going to use with our non flat tow vehicle. This is a light weight car trailer 5000lbs capacity. I’ve had it for 18 years just cleaned it up and put new wheels and tires, lubed the bearings.

Don’t look on the back. Washer and dryer were taking to my daughter. Heading out Friday.

Attachments

• CA4FA496-E4B9-4FCF-B55E-A0713103D371.jpeg
    CA4FA496-E4B9-4FCF-B55E-A0713103D371.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 98C56489-5451-4C9E-B485-A7BD68CC1E6E.jpeg
    98C56489-5451-4C9E-B485-A7BD68CC1E6E.jpeg
    262.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 618E664A-899E-40A1-BAE7-C2239D715E85.jpeg
    618E664A-899E-40A1-BAE7-C2239D715E85.jpeg
    228.2 KB · Views: 17
Beware we camp a lot in the North East. We are now camping across the western part of the US. WE just camped in three different National Parks. there is NO ROOM for a car and a trailer at the campsites. None nada.

When you camp you pull in with your RV, via Travel Trailer, 5th wheel, C Class, or A Class. The space left over in front of your RV is for you tow vehicle. Many times if you have a pickup truck you have to park it at an angle. You may have to park the trailer at an over flow parking lot, IF they have one, IF they will let you.

I don't want to rain on your parade. You can go to campsites all over the USA. Count on your hand to see how many campers are towing vehicles with trailers. IMHO, and this is just me, you are better off to just flat tow a vehicle.

Do your research.

Beware we camp a lot in the North East. We are now camping across the western part of the US. WE just camped in three different National Parks. there is NO ROOM for a car and a trailer at the campsites. None nada.

When you camp you pull in with your RV, via Travel Trailer, 5th wheel, C Class, or A Class. The space left over in front of your RV is for you tow vehicle. Many times if you have a pickup truck you have to park it at an angle. You may have to park the trailer at an over flow parking lot, IF they have one, IF they will let you.

I don't want to rain on your parade. You can go to campsites all over the USA. Count on your hand to see how many campers are towing vehicles with trailers. IMHO, and this is just me, you are better off to just flat tow a vehicle.

Do your research.
I would agree, it’s just that I don’t have a flat tow capable vehicle yet.

Do your research.
Agree that if you are wanting to stay in national parks, the trailer will make things VERY challenging. Since we like to stay for many weeks or months in a location, staying in a national park is not in the equation for us. But this is a very valid point about national parks.

Agree that each person needs to do their research and understand the pros and cons.

There is a reason most people go with a flat tow and not a trailer.

It is aluminum
Finding sites is tough, especially on the east coast. East coast a toad/4-down would be much easier.
The further west you go, the easier it gets to find campgrounds with the extra long sites or extra parking for trailers.
Another consideration - A trailer also takes longer to load up than a toad.
Trailer is also more weight - both on the tongue of the rig and also pulling uphill.
Our rig has a 30,000# towing capacity and can handle 5,000# on the tongue. According to scales, trailer fully loaded, we are just under 10,000# for the trailer (including the tongue weight) and under 2,000 on the tongue.
when looking a A-Class rigs you will need to be careful to check your towing weight limits as many of them have limits around 10,000# total.
Wow I did not know some RV’s has that kind of towing capacity. I guess we have a lot of research to do. Which make do you have with that kind of capacity?

Here is a setup we’re going to use with our non flat tow vehicle. This is a light weight car trailer 5000lbs capacity. I’ve had it for 18 years just cleaned it up and put new wheels and tires, lubed the bearings.

Don’t look on the back. Washer and dryer were taking to my daughter. Heading out Friday.
Thanks for sharing. Nice trailer. Our main goal is to be able to haul our 1500 truck and be able to find a spot to leave the trailer at sites . Safe travels.

Do your research.
Thanks for the advice. This was kind off my main concern all along after looking at some photos of campsites.

Latest resources

Back