Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Which Koni shocks for rear axles - 2017 Newmar Ventana FL chassis?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
@Neal, I recall you already have Koni's on the front back in the beginning of time. Are you replacing all or just the rear? I remember having this exchange with Dutch Star Don long ago when I changed them on my Ventana front only. Are you noticing a significant difference going down the road?

@Neal, I recall you already have Koni's on the front back in the beginning of time. Are you replacing all or just the rear? I remember having this exchange with Dutch Star Don long ago when I changed them on my Ventana front only. Are you noticing a significant difference going down the road?
I replaced the front soon after getting Active Air which was probably unnecessary and a reaction to something I felt was going on which is just normal RV driving. I don't feel any issues at this time on the rear shocks but the terrible wear pattern on the tag tires some think is related to shocks. I don't know. So I am only replacing rear two axle shocks and leaving fronts alone.

The wear pattern can be an alignment issue. I remember when I got my Ventana my tag wear was very unusual and it turned out they were out of alignment. You may want to check that as well.

I asked about this last time and I think I declined the alignment. My thought was it was tire scrubbing when backing up into sites as the tag doesn't exactly lift, the air just deflates from the bag. I still think that's the cause but shocks can't hurt. I may have an alignment next visit to Gaffney.

FWIW, On Prevost, we can lift the tag, but the service techs at Prevost told me that even if I did not lift the tag on tight turns, the scrub wear would be minimal. Do you have a picture of the wear you are concerned about? While Gaffney is an idea place to go, a good truck tire shop locally should be able to at least check your alignment.

I recommend the full alignment for tire wear. If the tag tires were cupping, that indicates weak shocks.

That's very close to what mine looked like before alignment. The local truck shop may also do the change out of the shocks and the alignment check for you. I'd definitely address it before you head out this summer.

I'll ask the truck shop I use (Excel Truck Group) if they can do the alignment otherwise FL Gaffney next visit will be one. Send cans please.

Send cans? She may say no.

Latest resources

Back