Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Rickw1209

RVF Newbee
I am retiring and the wife and I are looking to purchase an RV and travel for a year.
We can't decide what to buy yet, Class C and tow a small car behind or fifth wheel or travel trailer.
One of my concerns is I have a 2020 1500 silverado LTZ, Z71, full cab short box, 5.3L.
Would this truck pull a 7000 lb trailer out west?
Wouldn't worry about pulling for weekend trips but concerned about out west.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You can look at the towing recommendations on your model 7000 on 1/2 ton PU will be a lot. You need to consider suspension and breaks not just pulling the weight. By the time you add cargo you will likely be over 9000. I have towed in the past with a 1/2 ton gas and 3/4 ton diesel, I prefer diesel. Just some things to consider.

First, welcome to RVF. Now, as to “pulling a 7,000 lb trailer out west,” here are my thoughts.

Then, I don’t think any 1/2-ton truck makes a good tow rig for anything beyond a small boat, camp trailer, etc. The suspension is just not robust enough to provide good handling and stopping. Now, every truck salesman you talk to will tell you the opposite; but, they are in the business of selling trucks! Let’s remember that towing a trailer is not about how much you can pull; it is also about how much you can handle and stop safely.

A couple of other thoughts. The “7,000 lb trailer” will most likely be a 9,500 lb trailer when you get it loaded with food, water, propane, clothes, pots/pans/dishes/etc., and “toys.” That’s not an exaggeration; it is pretty easy to put 2,500 lbs of stuff in a trailer. So, the question now becomes “Would this truck pull a 9,500 lb trailer out west?”. And, at least for me the answer would be “not safely.”

While “out west” is a pretty general description, I think you may be asking about traveling in the mountains…big mountains. We do have some big mountains out here in the west. Your truck would probably pull that trailer up most grades out here without too much trouble, though some long, steep grades might have it breathing hard. Going down the other side might be something of a white-knuckle adventure, however. I wouldn’t be comfortable with the braking capacity of a 1/2-ton truck on some of the long, steep and sometimes winding roads and highways out here. Sure, good trailer brakes will help but I think you would be on the margin.

Going with a lighter trailer (not more than 5,000 lbs + “stuff”) might be doable, however. The mistake most folks make is in trying to fit a trailer to an existing vehicle. The better approach is to select the vehicle to be towed first and then match the tow vehicle capacity to it. There will be some difference between towing capacities for a straight-pull travel trailer and a 5th wheel, but with a half-ton truck it won’t be that much IME. Of the options you mentioned, the Class C towing a small car might be the best choice.

TJ

There is no such thing as a 7000 pound travel trailer if you have a wife and kids. That thing will weigh 9500 pounds in the blink of an eye!!! ? You don't have enough truck. Get a 3/4 ton truck or get a class C or A.

What is your max towing? Ours is 11600 and we are thinking we can pull a 30 Ft trailer? It has the max towing package?

It is all about the numbers! Terms like "max towing package" mean absolutely nothing except to the salesman who is selling the truck. And, generic descriptions like "30 Ft trailer" are equally meaningless. You need real data to determine what you can safely tow!

What does the fully loaded trailer actually weigh? A commercial scale can provide that information. Relying on some published numbers for trailer weight and loading is pure guesswork.

So, what is the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) for the truck? And, what is the actual trailer weight when travel-ready? Stay at or below 80% of the max numbers and drive smart; you will be in the safe range. Pushing the envelope out any farther is not a good idea.

TJ

Latest resources

Back