Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

russellsunn

RVF Newbee
I've seen all types of RVs, large and small, trailers, "busses", and camper vans over the last several decades, but fewer and fewer truck-camper combinations. Does anyone have an opinion as to why this is? Do trucks and/or campers wear out faster than the alternatives? Is it a pain to take the camper off the truck, then reinstall for use? We currently don't have a truck or RV but are considering the truck-camper as an option.

Some of those campers are 60K + in price. They are also too heavy for a 1/2 ton, so its a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to haul it around.

As a kid in the 60s I remember them all over the road. My dad was in the Air Force and we transferred and traveled a lot. I think the 60s and 70s were their heyday.

I see one occasionally, but not often.

OR

I know of many. Most that have them want a way to haul a boat.

As a person who owns a truck camper they can be a bit much for many people to deal with.
You have to match the camper to the truck, get used to top heavy handling characteristics of the hard sides,
understand that removal is often forbidden in various places and in many instances won't be anywhere near easy if the site is not hard and level.
It is beneficial in that if you have need for a truck anyway and plan on towing the truck camper can make all kind of sense.
(I tow a boat) But if you don't do research and completely understand the physics, load characteristics and so on you can risk being totally dissatisfied at the least and dangerous at the other end.
Truck campers are also not really suited to more than a couple of people even if they have slide outs. They are very small living quarters.
But if you are comfortable with their room, you can get very capable vehicles for camping, boondocking and access into places that other RV's can't.
Class B vans and Truck campers are really kindred in that regard, but a good size truck camper may often have better features, tank sizes, storage, etc.
Price range for Truck campers can be very wide, just as the price for the truck to haul it.
Any truck camper that is pushing 3000 pounds dry weight should be on a dually truck or highly modified 1 ton SRW.
But for that 3K lbs you get a sleeper dinette, queen bed and some type of full bath.
They aren't for everyone, but the people who own them typically know what they are looking for.
I would also recommend that if you buy new, you do so from a company that deals with a lot of them. Most RV store salespeople are not trained and do not understand anything about them other than a possible sale.
DB

We camped for years with an overhead camper and three kids. My biggest complaint was we had to break everything down and carry the camper to all the tourist sites we wanted to see. It's nice to unhook a tt and drive the truck empty where ever we want to go.

With a little practise i can remove a camper from the truck in about the same amount of time as unlooking a trailer or 5th wheel. Today with electric remote control jacks its very easy. I found that camper owners tend to keep their campers longer and with everything after you own awhile you just dont use as often so since they dont build and sell as many as trailers you dont see as many. A lot of people are stunned by camper prices. They think because of size they should be half the price of a big 5th wheel. What they forget is they have all the same stuff just in a more compact size. Plus labor is expensive and its less efficient to push campers down an assembly line vs a trailer or motorhome.
I think people hang on to campers longer because of the lower cost of ownership over time. Most states do not require license fees every year. And most do not insure them since generally its covered while on your truck. Plus most are able to store them eliminating storage.
Personally i would love to have the freedom that a truck and camper gives you but my vote did not count when i ended up in my wifes ventana.

Latest resources

Back