Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Chamilton7

RVF Regular
My husband and I were wondering what kind of WiFi we could get for the 5th Wheel that wasn't so expensive. The WiFi in the last campground was terrible. We had to use our hotspots on our phones. Is there such a thing as only paying for the WiFi when you use it? Thanks.

You have multiple options available from using a Jetpack type device from a cellular company to a more robust option such as many of us use which is called a Pepwave cellular router with WiFi. The latest device many use is called the Pepwave MAX TRANSIT. I recommend either using live chat or calling 5GStore.com as they are a great company that can recommend something to best fit your needs.

A jetpack will be less costly but typically is tied to a carrier. A Pepwave system you can put pretty much any SIM card you want in it so you're not tied to a carrier. It has WiFi so all of the devices in your RV will connect to the same WiFi and never need to be changed. This includes phones, tablets, smart TV's, Apple TV, etc. You can also use the Pepwave to connect to campground WiFi and bring in that source for everything within your RV to share as well when at a location with decent WiFi for the campground. The pepwave is also smart enough to know which to use should you have multiple sources from cellular and campground WiFi connected. Again, I suggest contacting the kind folks at the site below to get their opinions and pricing.

My husband and I were wondering what kind of WiFi we could get for the 5th Wheel that wasn't so expensive. The WiFi in the last campground was terrible. We had to use our hotspots on our phones. Is there such a thing as only paying for the WiFi when you use it? Thanks.
Check with FMCA. They have a hot spot (mobile wi-fi) deal with Verizon and Sprint that offer UNLIMITED gigs of data. DO NOT take the Verizon deal if you are thinking about using it to watch TV. Verizon throttles the speed back after about 25 gigs, so bad that watching TV is almost impossible. However using the Verizon hot spot for internet works just fine. I'm told by many many RVers that the Sprint deal is truely unlimited and that Sprint does NOT throttle the speeds so you CAN use this one to watch TV as well as surf the 'net. I think both are about $50/month. If you want to watch TV I'd go with the Peplink cellular router that Neal mentioned. I just bought one.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back