Ventana 3407
RV Length
34'10"
TOW/TOAD
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Fulltimer
No
silverleafelectronics.com
Another acquisition in the RV marketplace – but this one may not be what you think. Winegard, the big RV satellite and antenna manufacturer, has taken over SilverLeaf Electronics. Never heard of the latter? They’re an Albany, Oregon, firm that works on stuff on the inside of RV electronics gear. Winegard says the takeover will help them get an edge in integrating RV systems, particularly control systems. Think holding tank level monitoring, battery management, engine functions, and a host of other power controls which manufacturers are clamoring to stick into new RVs.

Cooper Tires is being taken over by Goodyear Tire and Rubber in a deal worth nearly $3 billion. Cooper, in existence since 1914, is presently the Number 5 tire maker in North America, when considering revenue as the measuring stick. Cooper owns the brands Mastercraft, Mickey Thompson, Roadmaster and, of course, Cooper. The takeover should be completed by mid-2021.

FWIW- This week alone have received three tire recalls from Cooper through NHTSA, since I don't have cooper tires, ignored. You might look them up if you have them on your rig. The above information courtesy of the "RV Daily/Weekly Travel newsletter", so credit is given to them. Silverleaf up to purchase has great customer service, do not know what the future brings.

Ouch!!! I have always had great customer service from SilverLeaf and their integration electronics have worked well in our coach. Wish I could say the same about Winegard! I guess only time will tell, but from my limited experience, this does not bode well. :cry:

TJ

Wineguard also acquired WifiRanger last August

I've tried writing a response several times, I give up, I just hope this works out well for the SilverLeaf product and team. Short story, I get concerned when small great companies and teams become part of a larger operation that no longer gets the passion and focus to succeed.

I share @Neal thoughts, but then I remember that just over 5 years I sold my small 50 person company. At some point in time, owners need to move on. I get it. The company I sold was merged with another small company that the larger company simultaneously purchased and this past week that larger company agreed to be acquired by a venture capital firm. Five years later, the company is still supporting many of the same contacts / customers. Some of the talent has left and others undoubtedly have joined. The small company feeling has dissipated. They still provide a valuable product to the DoD, but I don't think the same small company owner commitment is there, because the owners are now invisible shareholders that don't communicate directly with customers or employees.

There seems to have been quite a few of acquisitions in the past few years to include many dealerships by CW, Newmar, KIB Electronics, WiFi Ranger, Silverleaf, and I'm sure others that don't immediately come to mind. It will be interesting to see what the industry looks like in a few years.

And while all of these acquisition takes place, there are new companies being formed. The ones with good ideas, talent, drive, etc will fill the gaps that are created by both the acquisitions and by the complacency of some of the existing companies.

I purchased my first motorhome just over 3 years ago, and found a gap when it comes to smart home (RV) technology. Some companies (like Silverleaf) have tried to fill this gap (ie. Rozie), but IMO have been unsuccessful. I think they lack the ideas, talent and drive to do it or do it right. Don't get me wrong, the people at Silverleaf are talented, but as a whole it would seem that they lack the talent to move the products along given today technologies.

Over the past few years, I've learned a lot about microprocessors, circuits, CAD design, 3D printing, circuit board design, etc. I've created what I believe is good smart RV product, but so far its only used in my coach. I've have provided demos to various Newmar owners. I keep telling myself its not ready for prime time because as I use it, I come up with more ideas of what it can do. I've very much enjoyed all the "work" I've done. The best thing about it is that it doesn't feel like work, which is the way it should be. If I can get this product to market, I'd like to think it will help us all with respect to smart RV capabilities. Otherwise, I will at least have enjoyed the hobby aspect of what I've been doing. Time will tell....

Latest resources

Back