Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

NCcamper92

RVF Newbee
I’m planning a trip to Flagstaff during the week of Thanksgiving and then to Sequoia in early December. Right now the lows will be in the 20’s. I’ve done some “Googling” about winter camping and how to prevent your holding tanks and pipes from freezing. It all seems a bit overkill as we won’t experience sub-zero temps, but I also want to air on the side of caution as I don’t want to end up with busted pipes and a cracked holding tank.

Any experienced winter campers out there that may have some tips? We have a 2021 Coleman Lantern 17B for reference. Thanks!

I purchased some WiFi / Bluetooth Temperature Humidity devices to monitor the temp in the wet bay so I would not be guessing the temps. You can then determine whether you should be concerned based on data. I also use the devices to monitor temps in the main cabin when I am not at the RV. My experience is that there is lots of thermal mass in the wet bay such that temps in the 20s are ok. BUT, you never know and I'd rather know then be worrying if we'll have a freezing pipe issue to deal with. I thought these devices where a little expensive but after having them for sometime they have worked well.

That’s not really a 4 season coach. You don’t have a wet bay like class A rigs. You can do below freezing for short periods, but because your tanks are exposed, they will freeze with extended temps in the 20’s or less. Your water pump will freeze first, so bring water bottles to flush with and wash dishes etc.. in case that happens. you’ll also use your propane rapidly. Watch out for condensation from humidity build up, keep a window or two cracked at night. So you’ll likely be ok, but if there’s extreme weather you may get into too many complications- head south for Phoenix to thaw out!

I once camped in mammoth, ca in my fifth wheel in January, and there was a family in a pop up next to us. They hung in there, and we did too despite lows in the single digits. However, when I look back I think I was crazy and so were they.

I’m planning a trip to Flagstaff during the week of Thanksgiving and then to Sequoia in early December. Right now the lows will be in the 20’s. I’ve done some “Googling” about winter camping and how to prevent your holding tanks and pipes from freezing. It all seems a bit overkill as we won’t experience sub-zero temps, but I also want to air on the side of caution as I don’t want to end up with busted pipes and a cracked holding tank.

Any experienced winter campers out there that may have some tips? We have a 2021 Coleman Lantern 17B for reference. Thanks!
My brother hunts using his funseeker around Williams. seen one you seen um all. small water tank inside, water lines run inside, sometimes insulated in the floor. If this sounds right then likely you will get poopcycles in the holding tank. Bypass and empty hot water heater unless you will keep it on. Open the cabinets where water lines run at night to keep the cabinet insides as warm as the cabin. The same trick can be used in the water tank cabinet likely under the bench seat.

I made a canvas skirt for my undersides to keep the floor warmer in cold weather camping. I also use a hole saw to make cabinets breath. condensation on the windows should not be allowed to drain off the windows.

Latest resources

Back