Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

kps7987

RVF Newbee
I am new to RVing and just got our used Class C. We are thinking about a trip south over the Christmas break and am concerned about freezing weather. Of course to avoid any issues we can drive down dry and empty before we come back but that's no fun. If I fill my freshwater in freezing temperatures (most likely not that time of year but its possible) and turn on the heater will that prevent freezing? When I return if I keep the heater on until I can flush and winterize will that prevent any damage?

Are there any other steps to take to avoid damage to the RV systems?

Depends. Some RVs have convectors or heaters in their wetbay that come on when the temp drops below a certain threshold.

Some others have heated pads under their tanks to prevent frozen tanks. Do you happen to know if your RV is equipped with either of those? What kind of class C do you have?

Welcome @kps7987 to RVF, glad you’ve join us. Congratulations on your new to you RV. It will be helpful if you let us know what RV you Aguirre. I imagine while driving south you will keep the RV warm for your comfort and it probably won’t be an issue unless you stayed in freezing temps for more than overnight. Let us know what you have so we can make sure you have an enjoyable trip.

Depends. Some RVs have convectors or heaters in their wetbay that come on when the temp drops below a certain threshold.

Some others have heated pads under their tanks to prevent frozen tanks. Do you happen to know if your RV is equipped with either of those? What kind of class C do you have?

2011 Thor Chateau, doubting it has either of those.

It would help if we knew more about where you will be traveling. "Freezing weather" in some places means just under 32 degrees for a few hours while in other locations it means 20 below zero for an extended period. Generally, if you are just talking about temperatures dropping below the freezing point for a few hours overnight, the coach furnace and residual heat will be more-than-enough to avoid freeze-ups.

The old trick of placing a 40W incandescent light (with appropriate protective cover) under the water tanks will help during times when the temps drop below freezing for an extended period. Since you will be staying in the coach, however, I presume you will want to keep the interior at a comfortable temperature anyway so there should be enough residual heat to keep the water system well above freezing under normal winter conditions in most places. Now, if your winter trip will be somewhere that temperasures will fall below zero, that's a different story.

Good luck.

TJ

I would first find out where your fresh water tank is. Mine for example is inside the RV behind a wall below my TV. If the inside temps are above freezing you should have no problems. That being said, if you know the place I am going to has water then I empty my fresh water tank and not carry the extra weight. If you do connect to outside water make sure you have a heating strip for the hose then cover the hose with insulation. Some year round sites require the heating strip.

I would first find out where your fresh water tank is. Mine for example is inside the RV behind a wall below my TV. If the inside temps are above freezing you should have no problems. That being said, if you know the place I am going to has water then I empty my fresh water tank and not carry the extra weight. If you do connect to outside water make sure you have a heating strip for the hose then cover the hose with insulation. Some year round sites require the heating strip.
We are starting in Pennsylvania and traveling to South Carolina for New Years so not by any means extreme temps. Water tank behind driver seat under floor so it is exposed.

Latest resources

Back