Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

merlin6707

RVF Newbee
I just purchased a 2022 No Boundries 19.8 Unplugged. During our walk through at the dealer they recommended setting up a heater in the trailer because the Lithium-Ion batteries are susceptible to the cold. We can't store our trailer at our house so my wife and I don't like the idea of leaving a heater on in the trailer when we can't supervise it. What should I do with about the batteries? Will the constant charge from the solar panels be enough to keep them ok or should I get an isulation kit to wrap them?

You can take them out and store them at home. Solar and insulation will only work if your batteries have built in heaters.

You can take them out and store them at home. Solar and insulation will only work if your batteries have built in heaters.
And this is why!!!

Although we have discussed this many times, it bears repeating!

Lithium can't be charged below 32deg Fahrenheit. Any successful attempt to do so (like the failure of the BMS) will form irregularities in the plates. In turn these can penitrate the electrolyte resulting in a short. A short in a lithium battery will most likely turn the battery into a flare.

If you feel like you dodged a bullet after such mistake think again, you have drastically reduced the life of your battery.

One simple fix is a thermostat controlled incandescent light in the battery compartment, yes power the light with your lithium battery! That will help heat the battery so it can be maintained by your solar system.

Note some recommend heat blankets, I don't, a light will not need to be stowed in hot weather, the blanket idea risks a fire if the battery gets to hot due to the insulation duringthesummer.

The salesmen warning should be a clue no effort was taken to protect your investment, for whatever the reason!!!

And this is why!!!

Although we have discussed this many times, it bears repeating!

Lithium can't be charged below 32deg Fahrenheit. Any successful attempt to do so (like the failure of the BMS) will form irregularities in the plates. In turn these can penitrate the electrolyte resulting in a short. A short in a lithium battery will most likely turn the battery into a flare.

If you feel like you dodged a bullet after such mistake think again, you have drastically reduced the life of your battery.

One simple fix is a thermostat controlled incandescent light in the battery compartment, yes power the light with your lithium battery! That will help heat the battery so it can be maintained by your solar system.

Note some recommend heat blankets, I don't, a light will not need to be stowed in hot weather, the blanket idea risks a fire if the battery gets to hot due to the insulation duringthesummer.

The salesmen warning should be a clue no effort was taken to protect your investment, for whatever the reason!!!
When you say a thermostat controlled incandescent light, would something like a heat lamp for reptiles work? And on that note what temperature should I set the controller to to avoid overheating the batteries?

A flood light (not led) is OK, but you don't want a focused light. My first thought is an old work light with a reflector. Set thermostat to 40. Anything over 33 degrees will do. Remember the light is a heating element so should not be touching anything, and should be in battery compartment.

I use one of these with an incandescent bulb when needed to heat the tanks/water stuff. Hope the link
Should I keep the plug inside the compartment so it turns the light on and off as the compartment heats up or outside so that the light is constantly on while it's cold?

Should I keep the plug inside the compartment so it turns the light on and off as the compartment heats up or outside so that the light is constantly on while it's cold?
Inside the compartment

I just purchased a 2022 No Boundries 19.8 Unplugged. During our walk through at the dealer they recommended setting up a heater in the trailer because the Lithium-Ion batteries are susceptible to the cold. We can't store our trailer at our house so my wife and I don't like the idea of leaving a heater on in the trailer when we can't supervise it. What should I do with about the batteries? Will the constant charge from the solar panels be enough to keep them ok or should I get an isulation kit to wrap them?
I would recommend removing them and putting them in a heated environment with a smart "Lithium rated" maintainer charger.

Latest resources

Back