• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Winterizing RV

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I blow out the lines then I do anti-freeze. I use to just blow out with a compressor but I had a low spot in the line going up to the kitchen sink and water collected in the elbow and cracked it. Of course, I found out on my way south for the winter when I de-winterized en route. Now I do both and haven't had any issues, just cheap insurance.

I blow out the lines then I do anti-freeze. I use to just blow out with a compressor but I had a low spot in the line going up to the kitchen sink and water collected in the elbow and cracked it. Of course, I found out on my way south for the winter when I de-winterized en route. Now I do both and haven't had any issues, just cheap insurance.
At what pressure do you set the compressor at?

I automated my winterization. How it works: I connect a 50psi regulated air supply to a fitting on the RV. I also put the antifreeze tube into RV antifreeze bottle. I connect the Waste valve to my portable tank. I try to empty the tanks at my last campground to minimize the waste quantity left in the tanks.

First step is drain the Black and Grey. I have a button on my control system that: Opens a Barker motorized valve on the Black tank for X minutes. Close that valve. Open the Grey valve for Y minutes. Close that valve. Open the Flush valve which takes fresh water and cleanses the black tank for Z minutes. Open the Black tank for D minutes. close that valve. So, all tanks are now empty and flushed with one button click.

I then manually drain the fresh tank. This takes a long time if the tank is full.

While the fresh is draining, I winterize the fresh water system.
Click a button that says "Air" on the iPad. This opens a valve that allows the compressed air into the system. I then go into the coach and one by one open the faucets, shower, drinking faucet, ice maker, toilet. First Cold, and then Hot on each. I run the washing machine to open the hot and cold valves to empty the lines to that. Click the Flush button to purge water out of the black water flush system.

I Click the Air button again to shut compressed air off.
Click the Antifreeze button that opens a three way valve to shift from the fresh water tank to the antifreeze bottle.
Click the Pump button to turn on the pump which then pressurizes the system with antifreeze. Typically this will take a full bottle. I swap the bottles.

I then go through the coach and repeat opening / closing all water use places. I also click the Flush button to put antifreeze in the black water flush system. I likely have to add a third antifreeze bottle. Next year I will put the antifreeze into a 5 gallon pail to do this in one shot too. I do not put antifreeze in the drinking filter.

I then with a click shut off the pump, close the antifreeze valve, and do the Black / Grey flush button one more time to get rid of all water in the system. The automation system coordinates that activity.

Disconnect the antifreeze line and air hose.

All of the above takes about 15 minutes or so of my time. Actual time is longer as it takes time for tanks to drain.

Close the valve to the pot.
Blow the lines out.
Close the water heater bypass.
Refill the lines with Jim Beam.
At the start of the new season call all your friends that drink wine from a box, and celebrate the end of winter!!!

I winterized my RV without antifreeze. First, drain all tanks (fresh water tank, black and gray holding tanks, and all faucets and toilets of water). Then, using the air compressor and blowout plug for the water lines, connect the air compressor to the blowout plug and ensure that the air compressor is at 30 to 50 psi.
Hopefully you don't have a hydro or aquahot system. Those require antifreeze as it's not realistic for all water to be removed with just air due to the number of turns the coil takes. Expensive fix if not done thoroughly.

Latest resources

Back