Newmar
RV Model
London Aire 4551
RV Length
Chassis
Spartan
TOW/TOAD
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have been planning a trip for a while to go Jeeping in Arkansas. There are 3 Badge trails there, and I have had my heart set on this trip for a long time.

I rented an AirBNB, and then talked the family into going, and invited other friends.

My plan has been to tow the jeep on a trailer, so that we could take the trip in the comfort of the pickup truck. This week, I decided to weld better ramps on the trailer, and then welded in C-Channel supports for the anchor connections.

Lots of planning, cutting, measuring, etc. I was able to get the jeep strapped by the axles with 4 straight pulls of the axle straps. That is the *best* way to do it..no question about it.

Finally got the jeep loaded up today.

Here is a few pictures of the setup:
20220112_191354.jpg
20220112_191817.jpg

20220112_191250.jpg
20220112_191321.jpg
20220112_191909.jpg

After getting everything loaded, I did a test drive. Trailer pulls perfect!

I increased speed to 40mph, and did an emergency lane change. The trailer tracked perfect. I did a quick change back and forth, like I was avoiding an obstacle, and the trailer tracks perfect. Load distribution was 60/40 spot on -- from the butt of my seat.

I decided that it was best to go to the local cat scale to weigh...and that is when my plans fell apart.

Pulled on the scale, so that truck steer was on pad 1, truck rear on pad2, and trailer on pad3.

1st weigh -- with Jeep

Steer axle: 5220
Drive Axle: 5640
Trailer Axle: 7120
Total: 17,980lb

2nd weigh -- no jeep

Steer Axle: 5520lb
Drive axle: 4500lb
Trailer axle: 2180lb
Total: 12,200lb

The jeep weight is 5,780lbs.

My trailer has 3500lb axles.

I was comfortable with moving the weight forward, until I looked at the front of the trailer -- it was not designed to take a dynamic load of 1000lbs. It is rated for 700lbs dynamic.

No way around this---the truck and trailer will remain home.

I am now going into the house to tell my wife and kids that they no longer have an 8ft bed to pack in, but rather an 18" section behind the seats.

Should be fine ... If you don't hear from me .... well, now you know why.

I hope you survive. LOL. On the upside...ya'll are going jeeping. Woo hoo!

Spend a bit of the "London Aire" money on a new trailer! Then work hard to save it back up in time to pay for the "London Aire" on D-Day!!;):cool:

Spend a bit of the "London Aire" money on a new trailer! Then work hard to save it back up in time to pay for the "London Aire" on D-Day!!;):cool:
Oh, I already tried. Been on the Facebook market place trying to find something. Decided this won't happen to me again, so I am going to get a 44ft dovetail 26k trailer. Will be able to take 3 jeeps that way.

My buddies already agreed to pay meals and fuel on future trips if I haul theirs, so in 50 years it will pay for itself!

Made it all fit. Skybox to the rescue.
20220113_104938.jpg
20220113_104935.jpg
20220113_104914.jpg
20220113_093240.jpg

Pulled on the scale, so that truck steer was on pad 1, truck rear on pad2, and trailer on pad3.

1st weigh -- with Jeep

Steer axle: 5220
Drive Axle: 5640
Trailer Axle: 7120
Total: 17,980lb

2nd weigh -- no jeep

Steer Axle: 5520lb
Drive axle: 4500lb
Trailer axle: 2180lb
Total: 12,200lb

The jeep weight is 5,780lbs.

My trailer has 3500lb axles.

I was comfortable with moving the weight forward, until I looked at the front of the trailer -- it was not designed to take a dynamic load of 1000lbs. It is rated for 700lbs dynamic.

No way around this---the truck and trailer will remain home.

I am now going into the house to tell my wife and kids that they no longer have an 8ft bed to pack in, but rather an 18" section behind the seats.

Should be fine ... If you don't hear from me .... well, now you know why.
So what does the label on the front left of the trailer indicate the gross weight rating would be? That's the first thing one should always look at. And this is a number to "never exceed". Otherwise, one becomes a very underpaid test driver. If for example, if one had rolled the trailer and jeep during one of the emergency maneuver tests, now you'd be really pi--ed!

Folks the numbers are there for a reason. Read 'em and believe 'em. Just because one got away and said "been doing this for years", well where the rubber meets the road or doesn't, will be the real proof. Expensive lesson too.

Yes, you need a bit more trailer under that Jeep.

I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question (everyone got that?)
If you tow that Jeep flat behind your coach, why not tow it flat behind your truck?
Ken

The trailer is rated 8kw, but the axles are 7k. It was not up to the task, and the jeep is heavier than I expected. I knew I had done a lot of upgrades, but didn't realize I added 1200lbs.

As far as dinghy towing, that was considered but the rooftop rack held everything without sacrifice. Bonus is we can now pull into any gas station desired or even starbucks!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back