Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Servant

RVF Newbee
Im looking at 2004 Motorhomes to buy and want to hear some discussions on pro's and con's of a workhorse w22 chassis w/8.1 chev vs f53 ford w/v10 ?

Can't comment on the F53 Ford but I'll tell you I'm impressed with the Workhorse chassis and the 8.1L Vortec. I have done my share of crawling around and the frame is very well built. I recently replaced an ABS sensor and the connections and brackets were all still in great condition. Taking BRAZEL's advice I changed out my spark plug wires (solid core silicon) and plugs using Iridium gapped at .45. Very noticeable difference in added performance. Good for youo seeking advice. Continue to learn more about each and you'll come to "your" best decision.

I had a 2004 Newmar Mountain Aire on a W-22 Workhorse chassis with the 8.1 V-8. The engine had great power and got decent fuel mileage.
The only negative is that the 22,000 GVWR chassis did not have ample load capacity to carry much "stuff"! Had mine weighed, loaded and it weighed 21435#.
I'm not sure the GVWR of a comparable year model Ford chassis with the V-10, but the load capacity could serve to influence one's opinion.
That said, I now have a 2020 Newmar Canyon Star, & it sits on a 26,000 GVWR Ford F-53 chassis, and I am very happy with it. The V-10 has performed well, however, I did add the "Ford Ultratune" from Brazel's Ultra RV. This coach loaded, weighs in at 24,349# !

Just a thought, early Ford V-10s had issues. Spark plugs and exhaust manifolds were an issue. Both have been addressed in the later years.

Im looking at 2004 Motorhomes to buy and want to hear some discussions on pro's and con's of a workhorse w22 chassis w/8.1 chev vs f53 ford w/v10 ?
I have owned many MoHo's over the years. Several Ford & Workhorse. I love going to the N. Georgia mountains. My Ford's did a lot of downshifting several gears to do mountain climbing. The GM 8.1 with the Allison tranny does much better. I also find the steering more like a diesel. Very little wander. I have the W22 with 22.5" tires.
Even though I am a lifelong Ford person, I like the Workhorse better. I wish the rumors of Workhorse building RV chassis again would happen!

In the past I had a Workhorse as well and was happy with the Allison Transmission.

What was the last year for the Workhorse in Class A's? We are looking for another RV and don't want to go too old.
Thanks

Can't comment on the F53 Ford but I'll tell you I'm impressed with the Workhorse chassis and the 8.1L Vortec. I have done my share of crawling around and the frame is very well built. I recently replaced an ABS sensor and the connections and brackets were all still in great condition. Taking BRAZEL's advice I changed out my spark plug wires (solid core silicon) and plugs using Iridium gapped at .45. Very noticeable difference in added performance. Good for youo seeking advice. Continue to learn more about each and you'll come to "your" best decision.
Hello, it's September 2024 and I just came across and read your post, so being the owner of an almost brand new and mint 2003 Bounder on the Workhorse W22 8.1 Allison chassis that I purchased in May of 2023, I'm 100% intrigued by your Ignition wire and Irridium sparkplug post, so it sounds as if you benefitted from the parts change. I'm asking that if you would be so kind as to please advise me about what type/brand of ignition wires did you replace the OEM stuff with and also the brand and part number of the sparkplugs you replaced the OEMs with?
THANK YOU!

BRAZAL's Performance is an excellent source for Workhorse Chassis owners... The new spark plug wires made a significant difference in increased performance. As the wiring sits adjacent to HOT manifolds, these solid core wires are an improvement. Here's a link

The Iridium Spark plugs can be purchased from various sources and are...

Spark Plugs: ACDELCO Iridium 41-101 gap set to .045 (stock is .060) BRAZEL's recommends the .045 gap. Worked for me 😉

BRAZAL's Performance is an excellent source for Workhorse Chassis owners... The new spark plug wires made a significant difference in increased performance. As the wiring sits adjacent to HOT manifolds, these solid core wires are an improvement. Here's a link

The Iridium Spark plugs can be purchased from various sources and are...

Spark Plugs: ACDELCO Iridium 41-101 gap set to .045 (stock is .060) BRAZEL's recommends the .045 gap. Worked for me 😉
I'm going to get them both ASAP...thanks for the response brother...i truly appreciate it!..✌️👍😃

THANK YOU FOR RESPONDING!...

Latest resources

Back