• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Yikes! Did something I was sure I’d never do

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Some day it will just be one of many stories to tell, and hopefully a good laugh. We have all made stupid rv mistakes.
This was definitely major stupid. I’ve been trying to convince my wife in your belief that it can happen to anyone. I think she’s coming around, mostly because I’ve managed to avoid any big mistakes up to now, although I’m already worrying about what kind of dumb thing I might do in the future. I’ll get over it … hopefully.

don't be too hard on yourself, I did the same 2 years ago in my last 5th wheel, I was getting ready for our first trip of the season, hooked up the water to the sewer flush, luckily I was monitoring the tank levels and couldn't figure out why the fresh water tank was still empty, then it hit me, bout broke my leg rushing out of the RV to shut the water off, after that, I kept a BF preventer valve on the flush at all times to remind me "NO". 1st stop at the campground was to dump a black tank full of water, It least I knew it was flushed good, lol!

I’m sorry for this mistake but like others everybody has probably made a mistake or two over the years. Some costly some not so much so don’t be too hard on yourself.

For the repairs, I would not let just anyone get in there for the fixings. If it were possible I would bring it right back to factory for repairs other than that MAKE SURE you know the dealer’s reputation and have found others who have used them.

don't be too hard on yourself, I did the same 2 years ago in my last 5th wheel, I was getting ready for our first trip of the season, hooked up the water to the sewer flush, luckily I was monitoring the tank levels and couldn't figure out why the fresh water tank was still empty, then it hit me, bout broke my leg rushing out of the RV to shut the water off, after that, I kept a BF preventer valve on the flush at all times to remind me "NO". 1st stop at the campground was to dump a black tank full of water, It least I knew it was flushed good, lol!
Interesting. I suppose the “real” mistake we both made was to leave the coach immediately after I connected to water. Ordinarily I’d have my wife open some faucets inside simply to get some local water running through the plumbing. Our haste caused by our quickly approaching dinner arrangements should have never upset that normal routine. That would have made the whole incident a non-incident. Hard lesson learned. Never leave the RV until every connection has been triple-checked. Like you, I’ve already taken steps to ensure that I can never make the same mistake again.

I’m sorry for this mistake but like others everybody has probably made a mistake or two over the years. Some costly some not so much so don’t be too hard on yourself.

For the repairs, I would not let just anyone get in there for the fixings. If it were possible I would bring it right back to factory for repairs other than that MAKE SURE you know the dealer’s reputation and have found others who have used them.
Totally agree. Taking it to the Newmar factory would pretty much be out of the question unless we had it transported, one way or another, due to family time constraints. Otherwise we’d probably take it North Trail RV in for Fort Myers, FL. Evidently they’re one of the largest Newmar dealers in the country with a highly rated service department.

It's a worrisome situation and I can't stop beating myself up for being so careless, particularly because we're anything but newbies. :confused:
Speaking from experience, that part fades over time. Things happen and you deal with it and learn from it, but you certainly aren’t lone on the list of folks who have made costly careless mistakes. I couldn’t even discuss mashing a baggage door at a fuel island for almost a year. I think there is a good chance that this will end well for you. And for this situation the best RV service facility would be in Nappanee. Maybe find a driver to take it there? Have you spoken to North Trail to see what they would do? if they have a plan for this?

Interesting. I suppose the “real” mistake we both made was to leave the coach immediately after I connected to water. Ordinarily I’d have my wife open some faucets inside simply to get some local water running through the plumbing. Our haste caused by our quickly approaching dinner arrangements should have never upset that normal routine. That would have made the whole incident a non-incident. Hard lesson learned. Never leave the RV until every connection has been triple-checked. Like you, I’ve already taken steps to ensure that I can never make the same mistake again.
When we leave the coach, even for a short while, the water is turned off “just in case”.

May never happen as far as something leaking while we are gone but the few seconds to turn off seems like a good habit.

Now that this thread has run it's course! I will make a suggestion, and the solution I have and still use. Understand that it is highly unlikely this could happen to me because:

1. I have remedied it! I no longer stay at RV parks.
2. I have issues with people using potable water hoses for black water purposes.

The first item is of course personal, and therefore offers nothing to this conversation, but is relevant in that I have been vocal about how I live.

On the second point, error can't happen in my little universe!

Years ago I waited in line at a dump station and saw someone use the hose to clean his sewer hose in ways hard to imagine! No longer would I use the filthy hose connected to a stations bib for potable purposes.
It went further though! I swore to never us any potable water hose to fill my tanks ever again!!! Not even my personal hose.

White hose potable water. Green hose dirty work!!!

If I can find a place to stow a dirty work hose with my limited space, so can you, and this problem will never again grace your RV again!!!

A hose reel plumbed in directly also eliminates the possibility of this happening.

Latest resources

Back