Chassis
Freightliner Custom
Engine
Cummins 360
TOW/TOAD
2024 Chevy Equinox AWD
Fulltimer
No
I’ve gone and violated one of the cardinal rules of RVing. I got into a huge rush while hooking up our motorhome at a campsite. Disaster followed. Allow me to make some feeble excuses.

We pulled into Fort Wilderness at Disney World for a 4-night stay, and were under pressure to get to the Contemporary Resort to join our son and his family for his wife’s birthday dinner. We had no toad with us so we also needed to make our way back (via bus) to pick up a golf cart. Before anything else I connected to shore power, then decided I had time to connect water. Did I mention this was only our second outing in the new coach? I opened the plumbing compartment, grabbed the hose, connected, turned on the faucet and closed the compartment. We then headed to the bus stop. I bet all of you know what follows.

First, the bus was late. Next, a huge throng of people were trying to get golf carts. Finally, after a good half hour total, we headed back to the campsite. My wife was first to notice water under the coach and dripping from multiple points around the driver side back corner. My heart sank as I immediately knew what I had done. We turned off the water and braced ourselves for what we’d find.

The toilet looked like it had been a fountain for a while. Thankfully most of the water had accumulated in the bathroom but some had migrated into the low spot which happened to be in the bedroom driver side corner. Outside, a major volume of water was pouring from several places above those basement compartments. I didn’t need to open the plumbing compartment to know what I’d find.

My only other excuse is that our previous camper, a travel trailer, had water and sewer flush connections side by side also, but water was left of the black water flush which was black instead of white as it is in the Newmar. Again, this was only our second trip in the coach, but all of those are lame excuses. We’ve had a LOT of RVing experience over two and a half decades in both diesel pushers and travel trailers alike. I always told myself this would never, ever happen.

So, now that we know I was wrong, I’ll ask what advice anyone might have for how to approach this potentially large and looming problem, our biggest concern being mold. The coach is stored in our climate-controlled RV garage where we keep the humidity between 50 and 60 percent always. Still, I wonder if there’s anything else anyone could suggest to minimize the possibility of mold accumulating in the sub-floor area. We expect that Newmar will advise us to get the unit to a large Newmar dealer (about five hours from here) and have it mostly torn apart for inspection, mitigation and testing meaning we’ll potentially not see our new RV for months, not to mention a huge service bill.

Any and all input will be much appreciated.

To be clear, you hooked the water up to the sewage flush and it eventually overflowed the toilet?

I suspect you would better of filing an insurance claim. Due to the biological nature of the disaster, the repair bills may exceed value and it may result in you getting a replacement rv.

Flooding generally totals a motorhome. With the additional biohazard, I would assume repair shops will increase labor significantly.

I suspect you would better of filing an insurance claim. Due to the biological nature of the disaster, the repair bills may exceed value and it may result in you getting a replacement rv.

Flooding generally totals a motorhome. With the additional biohazard, I would assume repair shops will increase labor significantly.
Well, I wouldn't say that the motorhome was flooded, but there was definitely water that found its way into a limited area of the sub-floor and then to the outside via open areas and other nooks and crannies. As I sit here I have no idea if our insurance has any "flood" coverage, but I'll be checking into it. Thanks.

Ouch, hoping there were no solids...
Thankfully, no solids. Our first trip out, I made sure to do a good long flush, and we had just arrived at the campground so the toilet hadn't been used.

I was the Chief of a small volunteer fire dept (retirement gig) and among many other issues, I inherited a 10 wheel 4000 gal tank truck (refered to as a Water Tender) with the oil pan and main caps on the front seat. One of the volunteers decided to change the oil and go for a test drive, lost all the oil due to his own negligence and lack of competence, and seized the motor (ISL). It was partially disassembled by a local shop, condemned, and towed back to the station where it sat until I took over. The fire board wanted me to file an insurance claim (something I was reluctant to do because “we” were at fault) and I didn’t think they would cover it. But they did. They paid over $14,000 after I assured them it was our fault. He said they had a clause for that - I’ll spare you the adjective, but sufice it to say, filing a claim, as to @redbaron’s suggestion, might be very worthwhile depending on your insurance company.

Regarding taking it to a Newmar dealer, I would guess that given how this happened there will be little or no hope of a warranty claim and the cost of having someone else do the “repairs” could be quite high, also as @redbaron suggested.

So….my advice would be to try the insurance route and look into any possibility of warranty work, and if that doesn't work out, do your best to dry out, decontaminate, and dehumidify the coach. To do this you will probably have to pull your fresh water tank among other things as it sits on a carpeted floor behind the wet bay control panel (comes out the other side) and an unaddressed accumulation of water there could indeed lead to mold and other nastiness.

But first things first, call your insurance agent. Keep us posted on how this transpires. There’s a lot of good experience and knowledge on this forum.

On a side note I’ve been stuck (rear wheels off the ground on a steep approach) and damaged a baggage door at a fuel island (frustrated with clueless motorists) and in both cases had I been patient, I would have been spared the results. I also flooded my wet bay (hence my experience with the fresh tank) due to installing a valve on the overflow (dumb idea) and not paying attention while filling.

So now its double or tripple check everything, don’t get in a hurry, don’t let impatience color judgement, and basically just slow down, whether on the road or in camp. Being in a hurry never pays off, there is almost never a real need, and the results, as you have found, can be far worse than being late for a party.

As above try to remove as much humidity as you can. Turn those dehumidifiers as low as you can. Remove, and open hatches. Buy or rent an Ozone generator, and get it going.

Then wait for what the insurance says

Latest resources

Back