• Commercial/Vendors welcome

NM to Alaska

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
We have been twice it’s RV, 2019 & 2022 and great trip. Seeing how the trip to Alaska from Canadian border is approximately 2500 miles be sure you spend enough time in AK to see as much as you can.
How hard is this trip on the RV? We'd love to go (a bucket list thingy) but worry about the RV intransit.

When my mom went some years ago (2000). She said she would have done this if she had researched enough.

By the way it avoids the. Canadian gun laws...

How hard is this trip on the RV? We'd love to go (a bucket list thingy) but worry about the RV intransit.
We have done this trip and we have damaged 2 windshields. Coach will get some small rock chips due to the road construction creating gravel roads. Biggest thing is slow down and don’t be in a hurry.

We would (probably will) do the trip again. Our belief is we bought an RV to travel and don’t want to limit our choices.

We have done this trip and we have damaged 2 windshields. Coach will get some small rock chips due to the road construction creating gravel roads. Biggest thing is slow down and don’t be in a hurry.

We would (probably will) do the trip again. Our belief is we bought an RV to travel and don’t want to limit our choices.
After my last post on this subject it dawned on me that some go to Alaska to traverse the Alaskan hyway!!! Duh!

So by all means have a wonderful trip! After all some people do the Baja 500, not to go to La Paz !!!! Right? Any how I digress.

No matter some of us must keep our rig in resaleable condition, for whatever the reason. .

So the ferry charges by the foot,the super hyway could leave you with a chipped up 1/2 million dollar RV someone will discount because of road damage!

What is one to do when their bucket list is calling and you can no longer egnore it's calling???

This is what I would do if! And that is a big if. I would buy someone else's bucket case! Sorry, I meant basket case to take the trip with. That would be better called, buying the right equipment for that demolition derby!! Want to go to Alaska via ferry? Buy a 24ft c for the trip and sell when you get back. You wouldn't take your RV on an ATV trail! Well I wouldn't! But I have seen it done.

If I had the calling, as I did with my cross country gold wing adventure, I would consider purchase of an RV that was suited for the task! Just saying!!!

Hello fellow travelers! We are thinking of a 3 month (or so) trip from NM to Alaska.
A bit of background. We have a 32ft Class C and we dolly tow our SUV. We have only been on a couple of small trips so far. So far our longest was 3 weeks to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. We are leaving in August for 2 months to New England. I am thinking of Alaska next summer. Looking at the route and at the moment it seems pretty dauting. I'm sure lots of RV'ers take off for Alaska all the time. So, I'm hoping to hear from a few of you.
Hoping to hear about route that was taken. Good stops along the way, places that you stayed. What you learned and what you wish you knew before you left. Seriously, I'll take anything!
Thanks in advance
L
We just got back from our cold turkey 7 000 mile sh akedown cruise. out through Ala Texas Arizona Cali. back through Nevada Arizona Colorado etc.
2012 winnie vista with tow dolly lesabre. we survived. learned ALOT heading back out in August from N C to Alaska. about 6 weeks. duration. I have an extensive travel plan on Google I can share with you. will cross at Coutts Alberta.
Hello fellow travelers! We are thinking of a 3 month (or so) trip from NM to Alaska.
A bit of background. We have a 32ft Class C and we dolly tow our SUV. We have only been on a couple of small trips so far. So far our longest was 3 weeks to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. We are leaving in August for 2 months to New England. I am thinking of Alaska next summer. Looking at the route and at the moment it seems pretty dauting. I'm sure lots of RV'ers take off for Alaska all the time. So, I'm hoping to hear from a few of you.
Hoping to hear about route that was taken. Good stops along the way, places that you stayed. What you learned and what you wish you knew before you left. Seriously, I'll take anything!
Thanks in advance
L
just got back from our 1st 6 week trip. 2012 winnie vista 27 foot with dolly towed lesabre. heading to AK for about 8 weeks round-trip from N C. we learned ALOT from our 1st trip. would be glad to share. have complete google maps trip planners up and back. [email protected]. I do extensive research. glad to share.

We just got back from our cold turkey 7 000 mile sh akedown cruise. out through Ala Texas Arizona Cali. back through Nevada Arizona Colorado etc.
2012 winnie vista with tow dolly lesabre. we survived. learned ALOT heading back out in August from N C to Alaska. about 6 weeks. duration. I have an extensive travel plan on Google I can share with you. will cross at Coutts Alberta.

just got back from our 1st 6 week trip. 2012 winnie vista 27 foot with dolly towed lesabre. heading to AK for about 8 weeks round-trip from N C. we learned ALOT from our 1st trip. would be glad to share. have complete google maps trip planners up and back. [email protected]. I do extensive research. glad to share.

NWIP, I read your 2022 Alaska trip report. Quite the experience. I will look into getting The Milepost.
Firearms.....I thought it was ok to take a rifle or a shotgun. Just no handguns.
Hubby will look into that portion of planning. I have the pleasure of doing all the rest.
Looking forward to starting
Thanks
L
Why do you think you need firearms????

I knew the programming was complete when in a bank in AZ someone came in With a holstered gun wearing a mask in 2021 and people had a fit!!!

Latest resources

Back