lahad1

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Entegra
RV Model
29V
RV Length
Hello fellow travelers! We are thinking of a 3 month (or so) trip from NM to Alaska.
A bit of background. We have a 32ft Class C and we dolly tow our SUV. We have only been on a couple of small trips so far. So far our longest was 3 weeks to Yellowstone and Mt Rushmore. We are leaving in August for 2 months to New England. I am thinking of Alaska next summer. Looking at the route and at the moment it seems pretty dauting. I'm sure lots of RV'ers take off for Alaska all the time. So, I'm hoping to hear from a few of you.
Hoping to hear about route that was taken. Good stops along the way, places that you stayed. What you learned and what you wish you knew before you left. Seriously, I'll take anything!
Thanks in advance
L

Have you got your copy of "The Milepost" yet? It will answer 99% of your questions! We're planning the same trip for mid-May of 2024.

Haven't been myself (planning on a 2025 or 2026 timeframe), but lots of really good info on uTube and other RV forums from people who have made the trip. Not necessarily in the same RV as you have, but the experience will be similar. From what I have read, the trip requires some good planning but if you go during the main summer season then everything should be open.

Availability of spare/maintenance parts is something to consider. Like @RangeMaggotBob said, The Milepost probably has the most up to date info on what is open, what to do, etc.

Thanks so much to both of you for the quick replies. I will look into The Milepost. Yes, summer for sure. Would probably leave NM the end of May, taking about 5-6 weeks to get there. Honestly, we have been to Alaska before, but not in the RV. I expect this trip to be more about getting there than being there. Plaining on Fairbanks to be our top destination. A couple of weeks to see the area, and then another 4-5 weeks getting home. Would like to get to Skagway either on the way up, or our way back home. Lots to consider and plan.
Really appreciate all the help.
L

We have been twice it’s RV, 2019 & 2022 and great trip. Seeing how the trip to Alaska from Canadian border is approximately 2500 miles be sure you spend enough time in AK to see as much as you can.

Here is a thread for our trip and the places we visited

NWIP, I read your 2022 Alaska trip report. Quite the experience. I will look into getting The Milepost.
Firearms.....I thought it was ok to take a rifle or a shotgun. Just no handguns.
Hubby will look into that portion of planning. I have the pleasure of doing all the rest.
Looking forward to starting
Thanks
L

NWIP, I read your 2022 Alaska trip report. Quite the experience. I will look into getting The Milepost.
Firearms.....I thought it was ok to take a rifle or a shotgun. Just no handguns.
Hubby will look into that portion of planning. I have the pleasure of doing all the rest.
Looking forward to starting
Thanks
L
You are correct no handguns, certain rifles and shot guns are permissible.

I read on an aviation forum that you can get a permit, for a short period of time, for handguns, but carry limited ammo. To transit Canada enroute.

I read on an aviation forum that you can get a permit, for a short period of time, for handguns, but carry limited ammo. To transit Canada enroute.
And here is a follow up from the person that posted the above.

Trip update… Made it to the Canadian border with hand gun permit in hand. Unfortunately, the Canadian border patrol could care less about the federal permit issued by the Canadian royal mounted police. It appears one hand has no idea what the other hand is doing, nor do either branches of government care. In short. I was not allowed to bring a handgun into Canada. The border patrol did say they would allow a rifle or shotgun without any permit from the Canadian mounted police. Go figure.

Latest resources

Back