• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Tire inflators

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Keep it friendly people. We are all here to enjoy sharing knowledge with each other. If you can't reply with respect please do not reply.

I tried to avoid spending the money for a Viair compressor by trying other brands/configurations and all I ended up doing was spending more money, time and effort avoiding shelling out the dough for the good compressor.
Used a Viair for 5 years. It was okay, but the Milwaukee is easier and faster. It tops off my 365's and 315's better than the Viair ever did.

If only for the RV my choice is a 115vac fortress from harbor freight tools. That said I appreciate the versatility of the compressors that use tool batteries! I would rather not have to deal with cords, or hoses, while on the road.

My experience with craftsman tools that were imported, has not been stellar. So even if I had craftsman batteries all over the place, I would not continue the trend!!!

My $.50 worth!

Thank you all for your input. The discussions have been helpful. (Except for the one testy reply comment. Agree, we can keep it respectful with just our thoughts on “our” products we are familiar with or own. No need to rip up others’ comments.) Enough on that subject.

To add a little more to my question, need, and reasoning on my thoughts.

My only reasoning of liking the ability to have a wall plug cord is… when I have the RV at home, or want to use it for any of my other vehicles or bikes at home, I can plug it in without using the battery power. I just like the ability to have multiple ways of being able to use it. For instance, in case the battery requires charging at the time the pump is needed. But I can see the positives of having the battery power.

I did look at the Viair. I like the reviews of this product being a powerhouse favorite and highly recommended for RVs. But with that said, I don’t like the option with the Viair pump to only be connected to the RV, or vehicle, battery to put air in the tires. To have to pop the hood to hook up cables to the battery to put air in tires to me seems a bit too much work for a simple task of just adding air to tires. Also, would like to be able to use the pump to put air in other things requiring air. For that reason the Viair doesn’t seem worth it to me.

Anyone have any experience with any of the other portable tire inflators on the market? ie., Ryobi, Avid, AstroAI products.

I’m still deciding. (Yes, I drive my wife nuts on my researching.) 🙈

Thanks again in advance for all the responses and advice!

I know you specifically asked about the Craftsman. I have the Makita only because I have numerous other Makita tools.

I only mentioned this because you brought up the need for a plugin unit. Totally unnecessary in MHO. The 18v Makita seems to run forever on a single charge. While it takes close to a minute to add 1psi to a 100psi Dutch Star tire, I can’t remember ever having to change batteries to top off my tires. I would not be without one of these handy units no matter what brand.

I saw the Makita in reviews and kind of agree with all the reviewers complaint about it. Having to hold the button while filling it. And even one reviewer commented, it’s odd they have other tools that you don’t need to hold the button, but not the tire inflator.

It all comes down to each consumer’s preference in their needs for the tool.

Thanks for your appreciated input.

I know you specifically asked about the Craftsman. I have the Makita only because I have numerous other Makita tools.

I only mentioned this because you brought up the need for a plugin unit. Totally unnecessary in MHO. The 18v Makita seems to run forever on a single charge. While it takes close to a minute to add 1psi to a 100psi Dutch Star tire, I can’t remember ever having to change batteries to top off my tires. I would not be without one of these handy units no matter what brand.

Latest resources

Back