• Commercial/Vendors welcome

TPMS vs Tire Pressure Gauge

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Unless you must be certified, your equipment is likely not all that accurate!

5% would sound about right! And that means 10% could be the possible error!! Remember the "no springs, honest weight" printed on the face of some old scales? Well even still they had to be calibrated to master weights on a regular schedule.

In answer to the question! For honest pressure, I would choose neither, as it would almost certainly be true they were never certified to masters.

I was taught that you need to choose your battles, least you want to go crazy!!!

ARD,

Same…we have PressurePro on our Newell and, yes, they are way off as compared to my professional digital TireMinder truck gauge. Just did my summer check and I’m as much as 10 psi off (SilverLeaf dash reads high).

And, you’re right…not thrilled about having to replace the entire sensor when the battery goes dead. 🙄

I had the TST system on our Dutch Star and it, too, was off; but not nearly as much.

ARD,

Same…we have PressurePro on our Newell and, yes, they are way off as compared to my professional digital TireMinder truck gauge. Just did my summer check and I’m as much as 10 psi off (SilverLeaf dash reads high).

And, you’re right…not thrilled about having to replace the entire sensor when the battery goes dead. 🙄

I had the TST system on our Dutch Star and it, too, was off; but not nearly as much.
I'm considering getting a TPMS for the coach. The previous one, which I don't remember the name of, was complete junk. False readings all the time and one of the sensors even failed and let all the air out of the front tire. Luckily the coach was parked when it deflated.

The idea of having to replace an entire sensor each time the batteries needs replacing sounds like a pretty bad design. Am I missing something here? What makes the PressurePro so much better than other brands that you would put up with replacing the entire sensor when batteries needed to be replaced?

This isn't NASCAR, you are not going to pull over and put in a quarter of a pound to "tighten it up in the corners". I would bet no one has a certified air pressure gauge in this forum. People take the numbers to seriously. They are just a guideline. IS 100 psi good cold at +60* or should we set it for minus 20*? +80*? We drive in conditions that vary tremendously. It only makes a difference if you drift up the track and hit the wall at Daytona. I know people agonize over these things as I do. But no one has calibrated measuring devices for RV's.

I'm considering getting a TPMS for the coach. The previous one, which I don't remember the name of, was complete junk. False readings all the time and one of the sensors even failed and let all the air out of the front tire. Luckily the coach was parked when it deflated.

The idea of having to replace an entire sensor each time the batteries needs replacing sounds like a pretty bad design. Am I missing something here? What makes the PressurePro so much better than other brands that you would put up with replacing the entire sensor when batteries needed to be replaced?
PressurePro is the system that’s integrated into our SilverLeaf. It’s very reliable. I’m not gonna balk at it since the sensors last well over 7 years and really weren’t that expensive to replace.

Having a sealed unit does have a slight advantage, I suppose, not to mention being fast to replace.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back