• Commercial/Vendors welcome

1994 Coachman Santara Ford F53 engine stalls after about 45 minutes of driving

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I drove around with my doghouse latched shut and the gauge about by my right knee. It didn't pinch the hose. You don't want to do this long term as the fitting can and will loosen on the fuel rail and leak fuel on top of the engine. There are more permanent fuel pressure solutions but I can't see them being worth it.

Just checking the fuel pressure any time can be informative. Is the system capable of supplying almost 40 psi while you are accelerating or is it not is very helpful info. If it can't then you already know right then that there's an issue, you don't have to wait to check it after you've stalled. Unless you just want to take the trouble prove absolutely there is a fuel supply issue. (Not a bad thought.)

The base fuel pressure checker at Harbor Freight is only $15. Or like I said you can borrow one at a parts store. So all you are investing really is some time.

Last edited:
I have a 1994 Ford Coachman Santara on F53 chassis 460 engine with 33K original miles, I just bought it 2 months ago, the people I bought it from said that it was sitting for a long time. I got it running pretty well but it does a very strange thing I can't figure out, the engine stalls after about 45 minutes to an hour of driving, it just loses the ability to accelerate, and it shuts down. Then I can start it again and it will go for a little bit but then does the same thing again. Does anyone have an idea what could be causing the stall. It runs pretty good once it gets going engine sounds smooth and shifting is good, but occasionally something happens and it stalls, it loses its ability to accelerate, when that happens, I am pressing on the accelerator, but it doesn't move and then it shuts down. Does anyone know what might be happening. It has new plugs, rotor and cables, I am thinking about changing the coil.
Did you get this figured out?

Is this RV equipped with an OBD2 port? If so, check codes?

Latest resources

Back