Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

threex18

RVF Newbee
I have a 2016 Georgetown, and my house batteries are on their way out. I currently have 4 house batteries. I am never off grid except for an occasional stop overnight at a rest area. When I am home, it is plugged in. Can I get away with only running on 2 house batteries, instead of 4. I do have a residential refrigerator running on an inverter when traveling. I see some people saying they have one battery. Are 4 actually necessary, or is it just overkill to have 4?

I only have 2 12v batteries in my 2017. I never boondock and I run the generator when I’m driving.

Even with 4, if you have a residential refrigerator you can significantly deplete the batteries, depending on how long you stop, especially if you turn on lights or watch tv.

I have a 2016 Georgetown XL as well with the 4 batteries. As far as running the refrigerator with just the inverter with the 4 batteries, I’ve run it for 7 hrs straight with no problem. No external power and no generator. That was the only thing running and I did not have the ice maker on.

Now, if you can’t replace the one or two batteries it would be better to take the bad ones off the system to prevent damage to the rest.

I myself would replace them. It came with 4 I’d keep 4.

Another loaded question! I kinda like @BGMAC 's answer.
Why because we don't know the energy demands of the fridge. We don't know the size of nor the voltage of each battery. We don't know if you have ever had the inverter or devices kick out because low voltage. To many questions to offer an answer other than the one offered by @BGMAC

Latest resources

Back