• Commercial/Vendors welcome

2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon TOAD

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yep, the BlueOx does hang down with lot stuff showing but there is a third setup that lot cleaner than the BlueOx and made by Roadmaster. I couldn't find towing loops that you could install on factory steel bumper only on aftermarket bumpers. Being mounted below the bumper I understand the towbar is perfectly level.

Roadmaster2.jpg

Last edited:
I bet Turbo tow bar sets very close to level when hooked up the coach. Look how much higher the spots you have marked for tow rings and I think your tow bar is going more than three inches higher and you will have to use an adapter on the coach side to get it level. Maybe Turbo can comment on if his tow bar is level or not.

I bet Turbo tow bar sets very close to level when hooked up the coach. Look how much higher the spots you have marked for tow rings and I think your tow bar is going more than three inches higher and you will have to use an adapter on the coach side to get it level. Maybe Turbo can comment on if his tow bar is level or not.

Yes, you want it level or TOAD slightly lower. Sweet spot I have heard is TOAD zero to -3 inches lower. This is my JK Wrangler, same for JL.

IMG_1645_Balanced-X2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, you want it level or TOAD slightly lower. Sweet spot I have heard is TOAD zero to -3 degrees lower. This is my JK Wrangler, same for JL.
Is that Rubicon? I think the Rubicon sets 3 to 4 inches higher so even with the mounts below the bumper I still may need an adapter on the coach side to get the towbar within specs. My BlueOx tow bar says +-3 inches and not degrees.

Is that Rubicon? I think the Rubicon sets 3 to 4 inches higher so even with the mounts below the bumper I still may need an adapter on the coach side to get the towbar within specs. My BlueOx tow bar says +-3 inches and not degrees.

Sorry I meant inches not degrees. Post corrected. My 2020 Rubicon Blue Ox baseplate lugs are exactly 17" off the ground. The Blue Ox tow bar center bolt is exactly 19" off the ground (airbags inflated). So the 2020 Wrangler Rubicon is 2" lower than the tow bar. That is near perfect. For hard/panic breaking it is best to have TOAD slightly lower than tow bar that way the TOAD will tend to dive under the coach attachment not over.

Came across these pics of the 2017 and 2020 for comparison

Attachments

• 0910D487-E129-4CA5-A921-FCF522815B15.png
    0910D487-E129-4CA5-A921-FCF522815B15.png
    14.7 MB · Views: 23
  • D16054E7-D67E-4D7C-A9D6-47EEFC5293B4.png
    D16054E7-D67E-4D7C-A9D6-47EEFC5293B4.png
    19.2 MB · Views: 22
This was a great thread and a good read. We are ordering a 2021 Wrangler and need to set it up for towing so will be coming back here for more info and guidance. Hopefully, you guys can help me figure out the right setup we need.

I also have this thread going with a question I wonder if anyone has experienced? It's in regards to the Advanced Saftey Group and towing. Jeep Wrangler and Issues with Advanced Safety Group

Here is some info I tried to find when I was looking at the aftermarket bumper. Looking at the second photo and the tow mounts were low on the bumper I didn't I thought I would have a level tow bar but it ended up being 6 inches high on the Jeep side. This is a 2020 stock Rubicon and Rock Hard Bumper. I had a Road Master baseplate on my Jeep prior and the bar was level.

Attachments

• IMG_0422.jpeg
    IMG_0422.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0429.jpeg
    IMG_0429.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 15
Sorry for a technical question with my first post ... but as the new owner of a 2015 Essex , I am exploring my Toad options, and have a strong preference for the 2021 JEEP Rubicon 4Dr. My coach came with a Blue Ox tow bar and a Brakebuddy Vantage Select B system (with remote). I plan on an aftermarket bumper /winch set up with the D-ring style hook ups (and adaptors) for the tow bar, but am wondering about the optimum brake control options. It does not seem obvious to me .... so I have to ask - what brake system is being used with the OP's Wrangler tow set up in this thread?

Will my Brakebuddy work? or should I upgrade it?
Note: I realize I will need to add in an emergency disconnect switch.

Thanks,
Mike

I would look at the Air Force brake system.

Latest resources

Back