• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Problem 2022 Dutch Star High Tire Temperature

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My TPMS saga had a twist. July 7th when I parked at the Spartan repair facility, a “distracted” driver rear ended the RV at 40 mph. The team at Colton Truck and RV garage were awesome. The chassis damage was extensive. They finished the chassis repair two weeks ago. That was 1/3 the time the insurance adjusters estimated. I then drove the RV to a facility that specializes in major RV body damage. They are telling me early November to finish.
With regard to the TPMS issue, before the accident I concluded the problem is the TPMS system has many release one type issues but while the temperatures seem incorrect when out of normal, the TPMS has correctly identified a problem with excess heat in the wheels. I ordered new slack adjusters as well as am replacing the inside rear wheels with aluminum. A switch to aluminum will not fix a problem if but I believe it will have all rear wheels and tires at the same temperature. I believe my coach has a serious problem given the burning rubber smell I get. The slack adjusters seem like a high probability. Keep in mind my RV was new and the TPMS issue and burning smell started on the first drive. I hope to one day actually use the $550K RV.
My greatest disappointment is Newmar. I believe they know far more about this issue and can offer the greatest contribution to solving the problem. To date all I have heard is denials there is an issue. My experience from Newmar has been the opposite of the mission statement on page one of the web site. I was not expecting “problem, what problem”. Hopefully in January I will be able to report the results.

I know this is an older post, but wondering if you ever got a resolution to the problem. We have a Newmar Dutch Star with the exact same issue. Tires overheating and burning rubber or break smell. Logic leads me to think that a faulty tire sensor would not cause the smell.

Did you ever get a fix to the problem?

I know this is an older post, but wondering if you ever got a resolution to the problem. We have a Newmar Dutch Star with the exact same issue. Tires overheating and burning rubber or break smell. Logic leads me to think that a faulty tire sensor would not cause the smell.

Did you ever get a fix to the problem?
I was taking a sabbatical, I think, when this was posted. Anyhow I didn't see the issues I thought of, so will post them now!!!

Has anyone measured tire diameters that have had this issue?
When I had a MH, I learned that it was standard practice to put older tires inboard because road crown can put more pressure on the inside dually.

With that added friction the inside tire warms up more than the outside tire increasing the diameter even more due to higher pressure! As a result even more heat, and pressure!!!

Is there a cure? Well! Maybe! Ditch the TPMS!!! Before that great device you never knew what was taking place, and the tires wore and took care of themselves. You might be able to overinflate the outside tire and see if that helps cool the inside tire. Short of independent suspension, I can't think of a way to mechanically reduce weight load on the inside tire.

couple of things to consider here.. running <90PSI on rear/tag tires is not a good practice since when turning this puts unnecessary stress on the sidewall (this is from Freightliner). Always better to run 90PSI or higher. If you are riding your brake alot in traffic, this will also raise the temp on the inside tires,.

what temperature was it when you set your baseline?

I do see slightly higher temps on the inside 4 rear tires on our rig (which are steel wheels vs outside 4 being aluminum) but typically only 2-4 degree difference.
I make a game out of trying to use engine braking as much as possible which usually results in only needing service brakes below 20 mph. So typically the brakes are a very small factor for increasing our inner wheel temp.
We have axle temp gauges on both rear axles and see a pretty tight correlation between the axle temps rising and the inner wheel temp rising.
I see 2 contributing factors to wheel temps: brake use and axle temps.
Axle temps seem to be impacted by ambient air temp, radiant heat from road surface, speed, total CVWR, and anything else increasing friction in the axle (bad bearing, low fluid, etc).

another reason for the temp of the inside tires to be warmer is that spot between the rails traps heat (heat from engine, transmission, scr, etc) and those tires are the closest to that area... learned that in Camp Freightliner

another reason for the temp of the inside tires to be warmer is that spot between the rails traps heat (heat from engine, transmission, scr, etc) and those tires are the closest to that area... learned that in Camp Freightliner
Along with that, the inner wheels are normally steel even if the outers are aluminum. Steel does not dissipate the heat as well running down the road.

See that on our Superstar even though engine is not in play for us.

Latest resources

Back