• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Problem 2022 Dutch Star High Tire Temperature

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I would not write off the TPMS system as just not working. It is reading the information the sensors are sending. I'm no expert, but my thinking is there is sometime wrong on that drive axle, dragging brake, bearing, low fluid, etc. You have drum brakes on the drive axle, have you preformed a per-trip automatic brake slick adjustment?

Contrary to what others have experienced, my Valor TPMS works as designed once I got the base pressures set. The only time I get high pressure alarms is when I leave VA in 40 degree temps and get to FL in 90 temps. I've never seen a high temp alarm. Per Michelin, the max tire temp is 194 degrees and operating above 230 degrees impacts rubber properties.

I would not write off the TPMS system as just not working. It is reading the information the sensors are sending. I'm no expert, but my thinking is there is sometime wrong on that drive axle, dragging brake, bearing, low fluid, etc. You have drum brakes on the drive axle, have you preformed a per-trip automatic brake slick adjustment?

Contrary to what others have experienced, my Valor TPMS works as designed once I got the base pressures set. The only time I get high pressure alarms is when I leave VA in 40 degree temps and get to FL in 90 temps. I've never seen a high temp alarm. Per Michelin, the max tire temp is 194 degrees and operating above 230 degrees impacts rubber properties.
…and because it is only reading high on the inside duals, it really seems like it‘s indicating high heat there that is caused by some factor other than tires or the TPMS.

I'm not a fan of the Valor TPMS either but was lead to believe it was set up for use in Spartan Chassis. I don't think it's related to a faulty reading. Hopefully I'm wrong but IMHO you have some serious issues going on. Please keep us updated?

I want to offer thanks for all the input. The saga continues. I had the Dutch Star at a Spartan Authorized facility for two days. They did the weight verification, checked the brakes, and inspected the tires. They consulted with the Spartan rep and performed tests Spartan requested. All checked out fine. They set the front pressure to 115 and the rears at 85. The drive from the Spartan facility to my storage building is 70 miles flat driving on the I10. There was very light traffic and virtually no braking. Just cruising at 55 and a tail wind for the last 40 miles. I get 7.5 MPG with a tow car. I assume that is normal. I towed my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with the Bue Ox tow bar and the Air Force One brake system. Within 20 miles of leaving the Spartan facility I got the same high temperature readings on the inside rear axle tires and within ten more minutes the driver's side front tire and drivers side tag axle got high temperature warnings. The high temperature alarm stayed on for the remaining 50 miles. While the tire temperature showed alarms the tire PSI readings were around 130 in front and 100 in the rear which I am told is normal. I reached back to the dealer to see what they and Newmar now recommend.

I wrote to Newmar and expressed that I am baffled they do not take advantage of the miles driven in delivery to the dealer. Newmar can easily require the logs from the engine computer and TPMS be pulled. A simple basic quality assurance step. They can then fix these issues before the customer takes delivery. In my case there was 1,500 miles driven from Newmar to the dealer. Newmar did not respond to me. My wife and I have yet to use the RV other than the shake down trip and taking it to the Spartan repair. We have yet to name the RV. She rode along for the trips. While I listened to that audible TPMS alert she came up with and suggested less than flattering but funny names. Some were really funny and equally inappropriate. Hopefully this gets fixed and we don't use one of those names. Gotta laugh !! Thanks Again.

Curious about the name suggestions - maybe not suitable for all audiences? Hot Wheels immediately came to mind…

But onward, did you ever verify the readings with a hand-held temp gun? This should tell you where the problem is and either set your mind at ease, or give you reason to head back to the shop.

Maybe you have a bad set of drums that are out of round, so even if the brakes are in spec they are still over heating. Or maybe the temp function on the TPMS is just wonky. But either way, as is often the case, your efforts might end up being more meaningful than the shops, not to mention Newmar’s blind eye to the issue.

Can you disable the audible alarm? Your mpg sounds normal, and your suggestion to Newmar about using the delivery miles to gather useful info is a good one. I’m surprised they ignored you but maybe thats a WBGO thing, or maybe they like the idea but don’t want to admit anything.

Also about this: buy an after-market TPMS such as EEZ tire and install it and compare results. If you get the same readings (of very close) you know the chassis has a problem. If not its the on-board TPMS. At this point it seems worth the investment and either way, you could shove the results in front of the warranty folk’s noses. You could just use a six sensor kit to make the determination.

This is what I use: https://eezrvproducts.com/

I assume Spartan verified proper oil level in the rear diff and ensured there was no differential oil leaking at a wheel Seal causing hot gear oil to line the inside of those rear wheels.

And then, no updates, would like to know… might be ongoing issue I guess

I have the same issue with the onboard TPMS, I run TST TPMS so just ignore the onboard system. Three attempts by Spartan to correct unsuccessfully

My TPMS saga had a twist. July 7th when I parked at the Spartan repair facility, a “distracted” driver rear ended the RV at 40 mph. The team at Colton Truck and RV garage were awesome. The chassis damage was extensive. They finished the chassis repair two weeks ago. That was 1/3 the time the insurance adjusters estimated. I then drove the RV to a facility that specializes in major RV body damage. They are telling me early November to finish.
With regard to the TPMS issue, before the accident I concluded the problem is the TPMS system has many release one type issues but while the temperatures seem incorrect when out of normal, the TPMS has correctly identified a problem with excess heat in the wheels. I ordered new slack adjusters as well as am replacing the inside rear wheels with aluminum. A switch to aluminum will not fix a problem if but I believe it will have all rear wheels and tires at the same temperature. I believe my coach has a serious problem given the burning rubber smell I get. The slack adjusters seem like a high probability. Keep in mind my RV was new and the TPMS issue and burning smell started on the first drive. I hope to one day actually use the $550K RV.
My greatest disappointment is Newmar. I believe they know far more about this issue and can offer the greatest contribution to solving the problem. To date all I have heard is denials there is an issue. My experience from Newmar has been the opposite of the mission statement on page one of the web site. I was not expecting “problem, what problem”. Hopefully in January I will be able to report the results.

Attachments

• 0F3D7637-1A3C-4501-8671-F69EE738A610.jpeg
    0F3D7637-1A3C-4501-8671-F69EE738A610.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 30
Holy smokes @tlyon262! What a lousy beginning with your new coach. I hope the repairs go well and that you finally get to enjoy your coach. AND that you get an answer to the issues you have been having.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back