Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

tlyon262

RVF Regular
I have a new 2022 Newmar Dutch Star 4369. First trip abandoned after experiencing TPMS warnings of 178 and 180 for the inside rear tires. I checked the forums, which suggested faulty readings on the TPMS, but the smell of burning rubber has me thinking the TPMS was accurate. I am stunned the TPMS does not have logs or history to be pulled. The issue/warning must have come up when delivered from Newmar to the dealer here in California. Now the adventure of getting to a Spartan repair facility. If anyone has had the same issue and can offer information helpful to the Spartan tech, I would appreciate that.

Sorry to hear of the saga. I've heard of things like this on New Aire's. You can verify temps with an IR temp gun.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DMI632G/?tag=rvf01-20

Sounds like you may have a brake or bearing issue is my guess. Did this just start happening? It is happening consistently or a one time situation?

What tire pressures are you running?

It happened on the first time using the RV. As I recall the dealer set the tires at 100 in front and 90 in the rear. The RV had 1,500 miles from the delivery from Newmar to California. That was why I asked the dealer if they could pull a log or history from the TPMS. I was told it does not have that function. Seems silly not to have that as a basic function. I will call the Spartan center where I have an appointment and ensure they will include checking the brakes in the scope of work. So far they want to focus on weight between the rear and tag axle and put nitrogen in the tires. I took a pic of the warning. Temps stayed high on those inside tire so I parked the rig.

1653494582423.jpeg

I assume you have the same TPMS (Valor) as is on my Freightliner. It has issues. False temp readings, false psi readings, and basically punting any semblance of reliability into the stands. Supposedly there is a fix that requires tweaking the receiver antenna. Freightliner has a recall on it, not sure about Spartan.

I would not pass go nor collect $200 without first verifying the veracity of those temp readings with a IR Thermometer as @Neal suggested. I’ll bet @Neal’s money that is false information.

Great suggestion. I will purchase a temp gun and see what temperatures are happening. I also have an appointment at a Spartan repair facility next week. Covering all the bases. It is 100 mile drive to the repair center so I can measure at 50 and 100 miles. Appreciate the help.

I agree with Neemer and have no experience with OE TPMS but that display looks like its indicating too much braking on that axle to me.

OEM TPMS is useless. I ignore it and have TST TPMS that I use. I am pretty sure the antenna issue was addressed by Spartan previously.

Sounds like you have a plan which will get it addressed. I would see about getting the coached weighted it sounds like your rear tires maybe over inflated, most are running 85psi in the drive and tag based on Michelin chart. I have seen high pressure warning on the back tires but never over 106psi. High pressure warning is a % of what the set point programmed in the system, which Spartan can adjust.

I appreciate the input. I called the Spartan facility and they added a day to the work order. They said the work order will include weighing the coach, weight distribution between the main and tag, tire pressure, and a break inspection. The coach goes in Thursday of next week.

On the antenna issue, that seem suspect to me. I spent my career in charge of service for a technology company and I have the scars of supporting equipment that did not exactly do as the manufacturer stated. We dealt with wireless access points from the early days as they matured into amazing technology. Typically an antenna issue will result in a loss of data versus erroneous data. Valor seems to not want to share any information or respond. One constant was the customer seems to always be the best source of data so I will assumed the system is faulty.

Those same set of tires increase in pressure and temperature on my coach when I'm towing something close to the tow limit.
Not sure if I have all my tow setting tuned perfect to prevent the heating, but that's just my observation.

Are you towing?

I am towing a 2022 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, 5,500 LBS. Has the Air Force One brake system. The RV, car, air force one, are new so everything is a suspect.

Latest resources

Back